Former Avalanche captain Joe Sakic sinks $1 million hole-in-one at charity golf tournament (with video)
Jul 17, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
It must be great to be Joe Sakic.
He’s a hero in Denver for helping lead the Colorado Avalanche to two Stanley Cups, he won the Hart Trophy as the NHL MVP in 2001, he’s destined to be a Hall Of Famer next year when he’s eligible for the first time, and now he’s got some golf swagger added to his résumé with a special twist.
Sakic was participating in this weekend’s American Century Celebrity Golf Championship in Lake Tahoe when he teed it up at the par-3, 167 yard 17th hole where he then proceeded to sink a hole-in-one that not only got him some extra bragging rights as a golfer, but helped him win $1 million at the charity event.
To help you golfers out there feel bad about your own games, Sakic used an 8-iron to sink the shot.
Sakic is so smooth he didn’t even know it went in right away. High-fiving the gallery after knowing it was in is a nice touch. While Sakic gets to take home $500,000 for the shot, the other half-million goes to Lance Armstrong’s Livestrong Foundation for cancer research.
Sakic spoke about the amazing shot afterwards with NBC’s Jimmy Roberts.
Hockey players and golf are about as natural a pairing as it gets in sports and to see Sakic use a fair amount of skill and luck is no surprise either. It’s easy to see why Avs fans call him “Super Joe” now.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)