Former Avalanche captain Joe Sakic sinks $1 million hole-in-one at charity golf tournament (with video)
Jul 17, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
It must be great to be Joe Sakic.
He’s a hero in Denver for helping lead the Colorado Avalanche to two Stanley Cups, he won the Hart Trophy as the NHL MVP in 2001, he’s destined to be a Hall Of Famer next year when he’s eligible for the first time, and now he’s got some golf swagger added to his résumé with a special twist.
Sakic was participating in this weekend’s American Century Celebrity Golf Championship in Lake Tahoe when he teed it up at the par-3, 167 yard 17th hole where he then proceeded to sink a hole-in-one that not only got him some extra bragging rights as a golfer, but helped him win $1 million at the charity event.
To help you golfers out there feel bad about your own games, Sakic used an 8-iron to sink the shot.
Sakic is so smooth he didn’t even know it went in right away. High-fiving the gallery after knowing it was in is a nice touch. While Sakic gets to take home $500,000 for the shot, the other half-million goes to Lance Armstrong’s Livestrong Foundation for cancer research.
Sakic spoke about the amazing shot afterwards with NBC’s Jimmy Roberts.
Hockey players and golf are about as natural a pairing as it gets in sports and to see Sakic use a fair amount of skill and luck is no surprise either. It’s easy to see why Avs fans call him “Super Joe” now.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 2
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)