Former Avalanche captain Joe Sakic sinks $1 million hole-in-one at charity golf tournament (with video)
Jul 17, 2011, 5:35 PM EST
It must be great to be Joe Sakic.
He’s a hero in Denver for helping lead the Colorado Avalanche to two Stanley Cups, he won the Hart Trophy as the NHL MVP in 2001, he’s destined to be a Hall Of Famer next year when he’s eligible for the first time, and now he’s got some golf swagger added to his résumé with a special twist.
Sakic was participating in this weekend’s American Century Celebrity Golf Championship in Lake Tahoe when he teed it up at the par-3, 167 yard 17th hole where he then proceeded to sink a hole-in-one that not only got him some extra bragging rights as a golfer, but helped him win $1 million at the charity event.
To help you golfers out there feel bad about your own games, Sakic used an 8-iron to sink the shot.
Sakic is so smooth he didn’t even know it went in right away. High-fiving the gallery after knowing it was in is a nice touch. While Sakic gets to take home $500,000 for the shot, the other half-million goes to Lance Armstrong’s Livestrong Foundation for cancer research.
Sakic spoke about the amazing shot afterwards with NBC’s Jimmy Roberts.
Hockey players and golf are about as natural a pairing as it gets in sports and to see Sakic use a fair amount of skill and luck is no surprise either. It’s easy to see why Avs fans call him “Super Joe” now.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)