Jul 15, 2011, 9:32 PM EST
While hockey fans await the unveiling of a new Winnipeg Jets logo and the team’s new jerseys, the actual makeup of the 2011-12 team keeps coming into greater focus. Winnipeg discarded many of the elements of the Atlanta Thrashers team they inherited, particularly when they exchanged former GM Rick Dudley and ex-head coach Craig Ramsay for new GM Kevin Cheveldayoff and bench boss Claude Noel (both of whom are featured in this post’s main photo).
There were rumors that beloved former Manitoba Moose forward Mike Keane might be primed to join Noel’s staff as an assistant coach, but it looks like that won’t be the case. The team instead looks to fill out its coaching staff with three new additions: Charlie Huddy, Wade Flaherty and Tony Borgford.
Huddy will take Keane’s rumored spot as the team’s new assistant coach. Flaherty will act as Winnipeg’s goalie coach while Borgford will remain the Jets’ video coach.
Huddy’s been an assistant coach in the NHL for 12 years, serving in that role with the New York Rangers, Edmonton Oilers and Dallas Stars. Flaherty was Chicago’s goalie coach for three seasons. Both Huddy and Flaherty might be familiar with fans from their NHL careers; Huddy won five Stanley Cups as a member of the Edmonton Oilers’ dynasty while Flaherty played 120 regular season games as a goalie. Borgford is one of the rare Thrashers employees who will make his way to Winnipeg; he’s been with the franchise since the position was created in 1999, according to the Canadian Press.
For better or worse, the foundation for the Jets’ first season seems like it’s in place. Now we just need to wait for an idea of the aesthetics.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32