Jul 15, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
It was just last summer that we were busy following Patrick Kane around Chicago as he was the toast of the town after helping the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup. This summer, things are a little bit tougher for Kane without the Stanley Cup and now dealing with a recently discovered broken wrist.
Rather than run the risk of missing most of training camp, Kane will have the wrist operated on on Tuesday. Blackhawks team physician Dr. Michael Terry had this to say about what’s ailing Kane.
“Patrick Kane sustained a left wrist injury which came to light recently during his off-season training. He will undergo surgery on Tuesday to repair a scaphoid fracture. We anticipate a full recovery in 6-8 weeks and in time for training camp. We do not anticipate any long-term issues.”
With training camp set to kick off in mid-September the timing is ideal to get Kane patched up and ready to start working out with the team and prepare for the start of the regular season. The Blackhawks have retooled and added all over the ice and Kane has said he’s a big fan of how tough the team is now compared to last season’s squad that was bounced in the first round of the playoffs.
With all that new physicality in town, they’ll need Kane back in shape to bring some of that finesse scoring with him as well. Kane’s production was down slightly from the previous season and keeping healthy and filling the net with goals. With another big season from Patrick Sharp and a healthy Marian Hossa, Kane and Jonathan Toews should keep busy scoring goals all year.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)