Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Here are a few stories from around the NHL that are worth mentioning, but might not have enough meat for a full post.
- Puck Daddy published a gallery of the Stanley Cup’s travels through the Boston area, including Steven Tyler and the seemingly eternal rock group Aerosmith getting their time with the silver chalice. The highlight of the piece might be when the Cup was on display at South Shore Hospital, though.
- In faceoff-winning news, the Toronto Maple Leafs re-signed center Mike Zigomanis to a one-year deal. He played eight games for the Maple Leafs and 64 with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies last season, so my guess is that it might be a two-way contract. He’s a marginal player, but he’s exceptional in the faceoff circle: he won more than 52 percent in those eight games with Toronto and 62.9 percent in his other most recent run of NHL-level games (22 with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2008-09).
- Sad news from Monday: trailblazing former Czech hockey player Jaroslav Jirik died in a plane crash that he was piloting. Jirik was the first Czech player to appear in the NHL, playing in three games for the St. Louis Blues during the 1969-70 season. Jirik died at age 71.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NHL Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld