Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Here are a few stories from around the NHL that are worth mentioning, but might not have enough meat for a full post.
- Puck Daddy published a gallery of the Stanley Cup’s travels through the Boston area, including Steven Tyler and the seemingly eternal rock group Aerosmith getting their time with the silver chalice. The highlight of the piece might be when the Cup was on display at South Shore Hospital, though.
- In faceoff-winning news, the Toronto Maple Leafs re-signed center Mike Zigomanis to a one-year deal. He played eight games for the Maple Leafs and 64 with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies last season, so my guess is that it might be a two-way contract. He’s a marginal player, but he’s exceptional in the faceoff circle: he won more than 52 percent in those eight games with Toronto and 62.9 percent in his other most recent run of NHL-level games (22 with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2008-09).
- Sad news from Monday: trailblazing former Czech hockey player Jaroslav Jirik died in a plane crash that he was piloting. Jirik was the first Czech player to appear in the NHL, playing in three games for the St. Louis Blues during the 1969-70 season. Jirik died at age 71.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NHL Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld