Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Here are a few stories from around the NHL that are worth mentioning, but might not have enough meat for a full post.
- Puck Daddy published a gallery of the Stanley Cup’s travels through the Boston area, including Steven Tyler and the seemingly eternal rock group Aerosmith getting their time with the silver chalice. The highlight of the piece might be when the Cup was on display at South Shore Hospital, though.
- In faceoff-winning news, the Toronto Maple Leafs re-signed center Mike Zigomanis to a one-year deal. He played eight games for the Maple Leafs and 64 with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies last season, so my guess is that it might be a two-way contract. He’s a marginal player, but he’s exceptional in the faceoff circle: he won more than 52 percent in those eight games with Toronto and 62.9 percent in his other most recent run of NHL-level games (22 with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2008-09).
- Sad news from Monday: trailblazing former Czech hockey player Jaroslav Jirik died in a plane crash that he was piloting. Jirik was the first Czech player to appear in the NHL, playing in three games for the St. Louis Blues during the 1969-70 season. Jirik died at age 71.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 15
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NHL Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld