Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 AM EST
Here are a few stories from around the NHL that are worth mentioning, but might not have enough meat for a full post.
- Puck Daddy published a gallery of the Stanley Cup’s travels through the Boston area, including Steven Tyler and the seemingly eternal rock group Aerosmith getting their time with the silver chalice. The highlight of the piece might be when the Cup was on display at South Shore Hospital, though.
- In faceoff-winning news, the Toronto Maple Leafs re-signed center Mike Zigomanis to a one-year deal. He played eight games for the Maple Leafs and 64 with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies last season, so my guess is that it might be a two-way contract. He’s a marginal player, but he’s exceptional in the faceoff circle: he won more than 52 percent in those eight games with Toronto and 62.9 percent in his other most recent run of NHL-level games (22 with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2008-09).
- Sad news from Monday: trailblazing former Czech hockey player Jaroslav Jirik died in a plane crash that he was piloting. Jirik was the first Czech player to appear in the NHL, playing in three games for the St. Louis Blues during the 1969-70 season. Jirik died at age 71.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 0
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 10
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 3
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NHL Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld