Jul 11, 2011, 9:45 PM EDT
Most of the big-name free agents have either found a home (if they’re unrestricted and desirable) or are locked in limbo (if they’re restricted and prohibitively expensive). That being said, there are plenty of smaller names re-upping with their previous teams or signing with new franchises. Let’s take a look at the July 11 signings of lesser note.
- The Anaheim Ducks signed Dan “Big Sexy” Sexton to an intriguing two-year deal today. Sexton’s new contract is a little unusual because it will be a two-year contract in 2011-12 and then a one-way deal in 2012-13. The deal will be worth $550K at the NHL level both seasons and worth $105K whenever he plays at the AHL level in 11-12. The right winger has been respectable in half-season duty the last two seasons, scoring 13 points in 47 games in 10-11 and 19 in 41 games in 09-10.
- The Ottawa Senators added two depth defensemen on Monday: tough guy Tim Conboy and blueliner Lee Sweatt. Both deals are two-way contracts, with Sweatt getting two years and Conboy getting one. Sweatt earned two points in three games with the Vancouver Canucks in 10-11. My guess is the Senators might call up Conboy during times when Chris Neil, Matt Carkner and Zenon Konopka‘s hands hurt too much from punching people in the skull next season.
- The Washington Capitals signed former Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Christian Hanson to a one-year, two-way deal. The most notable thing about this deal is that Christian Hanson is the son of one of the infamous Hanson Brothers from the classic hockey movie “Slap Shot” while Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau appeared in the film. It’s tough to say that he’ll produce at the NHL level in a way that would top that random anecdote, though.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)