Jul 11, 2011, 9:45 PM EDT
Most of the big-name free agents have either found a home (if they’re unrestricted and desirable) or are locked in limbo (if they’re restricted and prohibitively expensive). That being said, there are plenty of smaller names re-upping with their previous teams or signing with new franchises. Let’s take a look at the July 11 signings of lesser note.
- The Anaheim Ducks signed Dan “Big Sexy” Sexton to an intriguing two-year deal today. Sexton’s new contract is a little unusual because it will be a two-year contract in 2011-12 and then a one-way deal in 2012-13. The deal will be worth $550K at the NHL level both seasons and worth $105K whenever he plays at the AHL level in 11-12. The right winger has been respectable in half-season duty the last two seasons, scoring 13 points in 47 games in 10-11 and 19 in 41 games in 09-10.
- The Ottawa Senators added two depth defensemen on Monday: tough guy Tim Conboy and blueliner Lee Sweatt. Both deals are two-way contracts, with Sweatt getting two years and Conboy getting one. Sweatt earned two points in three games with the Vancouver Canucks in 10-11. My guess is the Senators might call up Conboy during times when Chris Neil, Matt Carkner and Zenon Konopka‘s hands hurt too much from punching people in the skull next season.
- The Washington Capitals signed former Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Christian Hanson to a one-year, two-way deal. The most notable thing about this deal is that Christian Hanson is the son of one of the infamous Hanson Brothers from the classic hockey movie “Slap Shot” while Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau appeared in the film. It’s tough to say that he’ll produce at the NHL level in a way that would top that random anecdote, though.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 32
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 44
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)