Jul 11, 2011, 9:45 PM EDT
Most of the big-name free agents have either found a home (if they’re unrestricted and desirable) or are locked in limbo (if they’re restricted and prohibitively expensive). That being said, there are plenty of smaller names re-upping with their previous teams or signing with new franchises. Let’s take a look at the July 11 signings of lesser note.
- The Anaheim Ducks signed Dan “Big Sexy” Sexton to an intriguing two-year deal today. Sexton’s new contract is a little unusual because it will be a two-year contract in 2011-12 and then a one-way deal in 2012-13. The deal will be worth $550K at the NHL level both seasons and worth $105K whenever he plays at the AHL level in 11-12. The right winger has been respectable in half-season duty the last two seasons, scoring 13 points in 47 games in 10-11 and 19 in 41 games in 09-10.
- The Ottawa Senators added two depth defensemen on Monday: tough guy Tim Conboy and blueliner Lee Sweatt. Both deals are two-way contracts, with Sweatt getting two years and Conboy getting one. Sweatt earned two points in three games with the Vancouver Canucks in 10-11. My guess is the Senators might call up Conboy during times when Chris Neil, Matt Carkner and Zenon Konopka‘s hands hurt too much from punching people in the skull next season.
- The Washington Capitals signed former Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Christian Hanson to a one-year, two-way deal. The most notable thing about this deal is that Christian Hanson is the son of one of the infamous Hanson Brothers from the classic hockey movie “Slap Shot” while Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau appeared in the film. It’s tough to say that he’ll produce at the NHL level in a way that would top that random anecdote, though.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)