Jul 11, 2011, 10:10 PM EDT
It looks like Brett Sutter will be able to put an embarrassing incident behind him soon. The mugshot featured in this post was taken after Sutter was arrested on November 11, 2010 for allegedly punching a cab driver outside of a Scottsdale, Arizona bar. Sutter pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct charges and was fined $323.60 for that incident today. The situation might not be completely behind him until he appears in court for a restitution hearing on September 15, though.
Jason van Rassel points out that Sutter originally received two misdemeanor assault charges but the lesser charge was dropped. It seems like the greatest damage was done to Sutter’s image because the cab driver’s injuries were described as just a “bloody lip.”
Sutter was in the Calgary Flames’ Sutter-heavy organization at the minor league level before the incident happened but was traded to the now-just-as-Sutter-heavy Carolina Hurricanes shortly afterward. Chip Alexander caught up with Hurricanes GM Jay Rutherford for comment.
“We were aware something was pending from last winter,” Rutherford said. “It’s important that it be taken care of properly in the legal system, and it sounds like it has.
“We all have to learn from the things we do. All I can say is that since we have had him, Brett has been very good on and off the ice.”
It was a tough run for Sutter (not to mention relations between hockey players and cab drivers) for a while there, but it looks like everyone can move on soon enough. In the long run, the general hockey public wins because we can enjoy that wonderful mustachioed mugshot long after the real embarrassment fades.
(Mug shot via the Calgary Herald/Scottsdale police.)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)