Jul 11, 2011, 10:10 PM EDT
It looks like Brett Sutter will be able to put an embarrassing incident behind him soon. The mugshot featured in this post was taken after Sutter was arrested on November 11, 2010 for allegedly punching a cab driver outside of a Scottsdale, Arizona bar. Sutter pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct charges and was fined $323.60 for that incident today. The situation might not be completely behind him until he appears in court for a restitution hearing on September 15, though.
Jason van Rassel points out that Sutter originally received two misdemeanor assault charges but the lesser charge was dropped. It seems like the greatest damage was done to Sutter’s image because the cab driver’s injuries were described as just a “bloody lip.”
Sutter was in the Calgary Flames’ Sutter-heavy organization at the minor league level before the incident happened but was traded to the now-just-as-Sutter-heavy Carolina Hurricanes shortly afterward. Chip Alexander caught up with Hurricanes GM Jay Rutherford for comment.
“We were aware something was pending from last winter,” Rutherford said. “It’s important that it be taken care of properly in the legal system, and it sounds like it has.
“We all have to learn from the things we do. All I can say is that since we have had him, Brett has been very good on and off the ice.”
It was a tough run for Sutter (not to mention relations between hockey players and cab drivers) for a while there, but it looks like everyone can move on soon enough. In the long run, the general hockey public wins because we can enjoy that wonderful mustachioed mugshot long after the real embarrassment fades.
(Mug shot via the Calgary Herald/Scottsdale police.)
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)