Jul 11, 2011, 10:10 PM EST
It looks like Brett Sutter will be able to put an embarrassing incident behind him soon. The mugshot featured in this post was taken after Sutter was arrested on November 11, 2010 for allegedly punching a cab driver outside of a Scottsdale, Arizona bar. Sutter pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct charges and was fined $323.60 for that incident today. The situation might not be completely behind him until he appears in court for a restitution hearing on September 15, though.
Jason van Rassel points out that Sutter originally received two misdemeanor assault charges but the lesser charge was dropped. It seems like the greatest damage was done to Sutter’s image because the cab driver’s injuries were described as just a “bloody lip.”
Sutter was in the Calgary Flames’ Sutter-heavy organization at the minor league level before the incident happened but was traded to the now-just-as-Sutter-heavy Carolina Hurricanes shortly afterward. Chip Alexander caught up with Hurricanes GM Jay Rutherford for comment.
“We were aware something was pending from last winter,” Rutherford said. “It’s important that it be taken care of properly in the legal system, and it sounds like it has.
“We all have to learn from the things we do. All I can say is that since we have had him, Brett has been very good on and off the ice.”
It was a tough run for Sutter (not to mention relations between hockey players and cab drivers) for a while there, but it looks like everyone can move on soon enough. In the long run, the general hockey public wins because we can enjoy that wonderful mustachioed mugshot long after the real embarrassment fades.
(Mug shot via the Calgary Herald/Scottsdale police.)
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 25
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 8
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)