Jul 11, 2011, 10:10 PM EDT
It looks like Brett Sutter will be able to put an embarrassing incident behind him soon. The mugshot featured in this post was taken after Sutter was arrested on November 11, 2010 for allegedly punching a cab driver outside of a Scottsdale, Arizona bar. Sutter pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct charges and was fined $323.60 for that incident today. The situation might not be completely behind him until he appears in court for a restitution hearing on September 15, though.
Jason van Rassel points out that Sutter originally received two misdemeanor assault charges but the lesser charge was dropped. It seems like the greatest damage was done to Sutter’s image because the cab driver’s injuries were described as just a “bloody lip.”
Sutter was in the Calgary Flames’ Sutter-heavy organization at the minor league level before the incident happened but was traded to the now-just-as-Sutter-heavy Carolina Hurricanes shortly afterward. Chip Alexander caught up with Hurricanes GM Jay Rutherford for comment.
“We were aware something was pending from last winter,” Rutherford said. “It’s important that it be taken care of properly in the legal system, and it sounds like it has.
“We all have to learn from the things we do. All I can say is that since we have had him, Brett has been very good on and off the ice.”
It was a tough run for Sutter (not to mention relations between hockey players and cab drivers) for a while there, but it looks like everyone can move on soon enough. In the long run, the general hockey public wins because we can enjoy that wonderful mustachioed mugshot long after the real embarrassment fades.
(Mug shot via the Calgary Herald/Scottsdale police.)
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)