Jul 8, 2011, 11:48 AM EDT
There was a time when the NHL and KHL just couldn’t play nice.
It’s not exactly as if one side played the role of villain while the other found themselves tied to the train tracks each time, either. Both leagues seemed to have some shady moments; like the Nashville Predators still find themselves hoping that Alex Radulov will return to their team after his overseas pilgrimage.
It seems like relations between the two leagues have improved in the last couple seasons or so, though. If nothing else, they renewed their promise to honor contracts signed within either league by passing a “Memorandum of Understanding” that will be valid until June 30, 2012. That agreement basically prohibits players moving from one league to the other if they already have a valid contract with the KHL or NHL. While this might seem like an obvious move to make, it’s still a promising bit of sustained progress for the sport as a whole.
“We believe that the achievement of a consensus on the status of hockey players in both leagues will reflect positively on the broader development of the sport of hockey,” KHL president Alexander Medvedev said in a statement.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)