Jul 8, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
Every once in a while, a wave of player signings can be large enough that it becomes overwhelming. To try to keep you as up to date as possible, we’ll throw together the occasional gallery of signings for some of the smaller deals. Sometimes a seemingly minor move could end up making a bigger impact than anyone expected. Here are two Maple Leafs transactions and one Ottawa Senators signing that might be of moderate note.
- Toronto added defenseman Matt Lashoff and forward Philippe Dupuis to one-year contracts on Thursday. There isn’t much to say about Dupuis beyond the notion that the 26-year-old center might help the Maple Leafs in a fourth-line center and penalty killing role.
Lashoff might be a little more intriguing, even if the defenseman might actually struggle for playing time more than Dupuis in 2011-12. He spent most of his time with the Toronto Marlies last season after being traded to the Leafs organization from the Tampa Bay Lightning. He does bring the pedigree/disappointment of being a first round pick (22nd overall by Boston in 2005), though, so he seems like one of those guys who might “get it” one of these days.
- The Senators took a trip down memory lane today by signing Mark Parrish to a one-year, two-way contract. Parrish was once a hot-and-cold winger who scored 30 goals once and hit the 20+ goal mark five other times in his NHL career, although he’s quite a bit removed from his glory days. His last year of steady big league work came when he played 66 games with the Minnesota Wild in 2007-08; ever since then he bounced from the Dallas Stars (44 games played in 08-09) to the Lightning (16 GP in 09-10) and Buffalo Sabres (2 GP in 10-11).
Parrish is a reclamation project at best, but most realistically slides into place as a minor league forward who can fill in every now and then if the Senators’ forward ranks are depleted by injuries. If nothing else, he’s a memorable name whose lost most of his luster, but maybe the guy will rebound in Ottawa.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)