Jul 7, 2011, 5:18 PM EST
When the Flyers swung one of their big trades this summer with Los Angeles, one of the two players they got in return for Mike Richards was Wayne Simmonds. Simmonds was making a name for himself as a hard-nosed right winger with a bit of a scoring touch on top of it all. At almost 23 years-old, Simmonds is set to become a cult hero with his brand of hockey in Philadelphia after signing with the team for two years at $3.5 million.
The deal works out to a $1.75 million salary cap hit for the next two seasons while the Flyers creep up on the salary cap. With Maxime Talbot‘s deal being held up by the league, CapGeek reports that the Flyers are at just below $61 million on payroll. That total counts Brayden Schenn’s cap hit of over $3 million should he land a spot with the team out of training camp. His hit is bloated thanks to bonuses figured into his entry level deal.
Simmonds had a down year offensively for L.A. last season scoring 14 goals and totaling 30 points, down from 40 points the season before. He plays physically, doesn’t mind mixing things up a bit (75 PIM last year, 116 two years ago) and plays aggressively at all times. In short, he’s going to be well loved by Philly fans.
With Simmonds and likely Schenn starting in Philadelphia the Flyers will have more of that west coast flavor to them and add to the different feel in the locker room. With guys like Richards and Carter out and Schenn, Simmonds, Maxime Talbot, Jakub Voracek, and Ilya Bryzgalov in the Flyers should be a bit more easy-going off the ice. Just don’t tell Chris Pronger that.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)