Jul 5, 2011, 4:24 PM EDT
St. Louis has made their offseason one without many fireworks but one to fill their needs at depth positions. They continued that trend today by signing two players, one of their own and one from the outside. Blues GM Doug Armstrong locked up goalie Ben Bishop to a one-year, two-way contract as well as former Sharks forward Scott Nichol to a one-year deal.
Bishop will compete with newly signed goalie Brian Elliott for the backup job behind Jaroslav Halak. Bishop played a bit in a pinch last year for the Blues and did well enough considering the shape the Blues were in. The former University of Maine product went 3-4-0 with a 2.76 goals against average and a .899 save percentage.
Nichol will give the Blues a tough centerman and a guy that can win faceoffs regularly while eating up third or fourth line minutes. In 56 games with the Sharks last season, Nichol had four goals and three assists as well as 50 penalty minutes. He’ll give St. Louis a rugged customer for other teams to deal with and a guy willing to stand up for his teammates as well.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 0
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)