Jul 5, 2011, 4:24 PM EDT
St. Louis has made their offseason one without many fireworks but one to fill their needs at depth positions. They continued that trend today by signing two players, one of their own and one from the outside. Blues GM Doug Armstrong locked up goalie Ben Bishop to a one-year, two-way contract as well as former Sharks forward Scott Nichol to a one-year deal.
Bishop will compete with newly signed goalie Brian Elliott for the backup job behind Jaroslav Halak. Bishop played a bit in a pinch last year for the Blues and did well enough considering the shape the Blues were in. The former University of Maine product went 3-4-0 with a 2.76 goals against average and a .899 save percentage.
Nichol will give the Blues a tough centerman and a guy that can win faceoffs regularly while eating up third or fourth line minutes. In 56 games with the Sharks last season, Nichol had four goals and three assists as well as 50 penalty minutes. He’ll give St. Louis a rugged customer for other teams to deal with and a guy willing to stand up for his teammates as well.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)