Jul 4, 2011, 12:55 PM EST
It’s the Fourth of July but NHL teams aren’t totally taking the day off. For that reason, we’ll keep an eye on the dealings today, even if it’s doubtful that we’ll see the kind of game-changing trades or signings that took place last night. Here are two minor contract agreements from around the league so far today.
- The Buffalo Sabres solved one of their more important restricted free agent riddles today. They re-signed young defenseman Mike Weber to a multi-year contract. The Sabres haven’t released the details regarding the exact number of years and they haven’t revealed the financial terms yet, but we’ll update this post when that comes out. Weber shouldn’t do too much damage, but with Buffalo among the few teams already close to the salary cap, their situation is worth watching closely.
- Perhaps it makes sense that the Washington Capitals are the other team that is still getting things done today. After all, the Sabres and Caps were among the most productive teams in the NHL during the free agent weekend.
Washington signed defenseman Danny Richmond to a one-year deal with those financial terms also being kept top secret. Richmond spent last season playing for the Toronto Marlies in the AHL, so this was probably a move for organizational depth more than anything else.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 23
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)