Jul 4, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
It’s the Fourth of July but NHL teams aren’t totally taking the day off. For that reason, we’ll keep an eye on the dealings today, even if it’s doubtful that we’ll see the kind of game-changing trades or signings that took place last night. Here are two minor contract agreements from around the league so far today.
- The Buffalo Sabres solved one of their more important restricted free agent riddles today. They re-signed young defenseman Mike Weber to a multi-year contract. The Sabres haven’t released the details regarding the exact number of years and they haven’t revealed the financial terms yet, but we’ll update this post when that comes out. Weber shouldn’t do too much damage, but with Buffalo among the few teams already close to the salary cap, their situation is worth watching closely.
- Perhaps it makes sense that the Washington Capitals are the other team that is still getting things done today. After all, the Sabres and Caps were among the most productive teams in the NHL during the free agent weekend.
Washington signed defenseman Danny Richmond to a one-year deal with those financial terms also being kept top secret. Richmond spent last season playing for the Toronto Marlies in the AHL, so this was probably a move for organizational depth more than anything else.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)