Jul 4, 2011, 12:55 PM EST
It’s the Fourth of July but NHL teams aren’t totally taking the day off. For that reason, we’ll keep an eye on the dealings today, even if it’s doubtful that we’ll see the kind of game-changing trades or signings that took place last night. Here are two minor contract agreements from around the league so far today.
- The Buffalo Sabres solved one of their more important restricted free agent riddles today. They re-signed young defenseman Mike Weber to a multi-year contract. The Sabres haven’t released the details regarding the exact number of years and they haven’t revealed the financial terms yet, but we’ll update this post when that comes out. Weber shouldn’t do too much damage, but with Buffalo among the few teams already close to the salary cap, their situation is worth watching closely.
- Perhaps it makes sense that the Washington Capitals are the other team that is still getting things done today. After all, the Sabres and Caps were among the most productive teams in the NHL during the free agent weekend.
Washington signed defenseman Danny Richmond to a one-year deal with those financial terms also being kept top secret. Richmond spent last season playing for the Toronto Marlies in the AHL, so this was probably a move for organizational depth more than anything else.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (144)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)