Jul 4, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
It’s the Fourth of July but NHL teams aren’t totally taking the day off. For that reason, we’ll keep an eye on the dealings today, even if it’s doubtful that we’ll see the kind of game-changing trades or signings that took place last night. Here are two minor contract agreements from around the league so far today.
- The Buffalo Sabres solved one of their more important restricted free agent riddles today. They re-signed young defenseman Mike Weber to a multi-year contract. The Sabres haven’t released the details regarding the exact number of years and they haven’t revealed the financial terms yet, but we’ll update this post when that comes out. Weber shouldn’t do too much damage, but with Buffalo among the few teams already close to the salary cap, their situation is worth watching closely.
- Perhaps it makes sense that the Washington Capitals are the other team that is still getting things done today. After all, the Sabres and Caps were among the most productive teams in the NHL during the free agent weekend.
Washington signed defenseman Danny Richmond to a one-year deal with those financial terms also being kept top secret. Richmond spent last season playing for the Toronto Marlies in the AHL, so this was probably a move for organizational depth more than anything else.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 14
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 88
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)