Jul 4, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
It’s the Fourth of July but NHL teams aren’t totally taking the day off. For that reason, we’ll keep an eye on the dealings today, even if it’s doubtful that we’ll see the kind of game-changing trades or signings that took place last night. Here are two minor contract agreements from around the league so far today.
- The Buffalo Sabres solved one of their more important restricted free agent riddles today. They re-signed young defenseman Mike Weber to a multi-year contract. The Sabres haven’t released the details regarding the exact number of years and they haven’t revealed the financial terms yet, but we’ll update this post when that comes out. Weber shouldn’t do too much damage, but with Buffalo among the few teams already close to the salary cap, their situation is worth watching closely.
- Perhaps it makes sense that the Washington Capitals are the other team that is still getting things done today. After all, the Sabres and Caps were among the most productive teams in the NHL during the free agent weekend.
Washington signed defenseman Danny Richmond to a one-year deal with those financial terms also being kept top secret. Richmond spent last season playing for the Toronto Marlies in the AHL, so this was probably a move for organizational depth more than anything else.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)