Jul 3, 2011, 1:31 AM EDT
After all the spending Panthers GM Dale Tallon did on Friday locking up six players and helping the team get that much closer to reaching the NHL salary floor, day two of free agency proved to be a bit quieter all around. While there weren’t nearly as many signings on day two, the Panthers couldn’t stay completely silent as they inked former Capitals tough guy and crowd favorite Matt Bradley to a two-year contract to keep the peace in Sunrise as George Richards of On Frozen Pond reports. Financial details were not immediately available.
Bradley spent the last six seasons with the Capitals and provided a lot of toughness and guts on a team that sometimes lacked it. He was never an offensive player, but his tenacious forechecking and ability to fight kept him getting steady work in Washington. Last season, Bradley had four goals and seven assists in 61 games and accumulated 68 penalty minutes. Bradley averaged 10:34 of playing time per game last season meaning he’s good for solid fourth line time. He’ll be taking Darcy Hordichuk‘s position as team enforcer after Hordichuk departed to Edmonton in free agency on Friday.
Whether it all pans out or not for the Panthers in their spend-crazy fit over the last two days remains to be seen, but there’s a major change going on in Florida and it’s fascinating to see it play out. With the way some of the contracts were handed out and how they’ll affect the free agent market in the future will be tough to watch in some cases. Either way, the Panthers are doing things for themselves and if coach Kevin Dineen can play the master chemist and put this all together to win it’ll provide a truly unbelievable method for how to put together a winning team.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)