Jul 3, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
Every now and then, NHL transactions can produce awkward reunions. Ugly things can happen in the heat of competition, but players change uniforms often enough in the days of free agency and the salary cap that adversaries become teammates with regularity.
One can only imagine that there might have been some discomfort in the air when Brad May became a member of the Colorado Avalanche after he put a “bounty” on Steve Moore’s head or when Donald Brashear joined the New York Rangers an off-season after he completed some ugly acts against the team when he was with the Washington Capitals. Then again, even “Curb Your Enthusiasm” might struggle to top the discomfort comedy of a hypothetical situation in which Sean Avery joins Dion Phaneuf on the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The latest awkward reunion might happen between Sidney Crosby and defenseman Boris Valabik, a rugged player who just signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins. For those of you who don’t remember, Crosby hit Valabik below the belt and took a few other shots at him during a skirmish in December 2008 when the blueliner was playing with the Atlanta Thrashers.
That memory probably ranks pretty low on the “weirdly tense vibe in the locker room” scale, but it’s a bit funny that Valabik might occasionally be assigned to protect the Penguins’ crowned jewels (Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, that is) whenever he’s at the NHL level. Valabik will reportedly make $550K whenever he’s at the pro level, but Seth Rorabaugh gives a good explanation of the defenseman’s potential.
This is a signing for the sake of organizational depth. Valabik will come to training camp and will get a chance to compete for the bottom two defensive spots but we have a hard time seeing him ending up on the NHL roster barring injuring.
Valabik is pretty much as advertised. He’s a big body who plays physical. But he’s not much of a skater and he offers next to nothing offensively. He’s an AHL version of Hal Gill.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)