Jul 1, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
What a difference a new owner makes. The arrival of Terry Pegula in Buffalo has brought the Sabres Robyn Regehr, Christian Ehrhoff, and now a new face for their offensive attack as well. The Sabres signed former Flyers forward Ville Leino to a six year, $27 million deal to have him plug in on the Sabres top two lines and continue growing as an offensive threat.
Leino saw his career pickup when he went to Philadelphia after starting his career in Detroit. Under Mike Babcock he struggled but in Philly with Peter Laviolette, he emerged as a threat during the Flyers run to the Stanley Cup finals in 2010 scoring seven goals and adding 14 assists. Last season, Leino scored 19 goals and 34 assists for the Flyers as he helped the Flyers to the Atlantic Division title.
As an unrestricted free agent this year and looking for offers in the range of $4.5 million a year, Leino got his wish and he’s got Buffalo GM Darcy Regier and owner Terry Pegula for it. In Buffalo he’ll team up with Derek Roy, Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, and Drew Stafford in a pack of scorers that can all finish. The Sabres offense paired up with their improved defense with the additions of Regehr and Ehrhoff, we’re thinking all world goalie Ryan Miller is feeling a lot better about things in western New York.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)