Jul 1, 2011, 4:58 PM EST
What a difference a new owner makes. The arrival of Terry Pegula in Buffalo has brought the Sabres Robyn Regehr, Christian Ehrhoff, and now a new face for their offensive attack as well. The Sabres signed former Flyers forward Ville Leino to a six year, $27 million deal to have him plug in on the Sabres top two lines and continue growing as an offensive threat.
Leino saw his career pickup when he went to Philadelphia after starting his career in Detroit. Under Mike Babcock he struggled but in Philly with Peter Laviolette, he emerged as a threat during the Flyers run to the Stanley Cup finals in 2010 scoring seven goals and adding 14 assists. Last season, Leino scored 19 goals and 34 assists for the Flyers as he helped the Flyers to the Atlantic Division title.
As an unrestricted free agent this year and looking for offers in the range of $4.5 million a year, Leino got his wish and he’s got Buffalo GM Darcy Regier and owner Terry Pegula for it. In Buffalo he’ll team up with Derek Roy, Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, and Drew Stafford in a pack of scorers that can all finish. The Sabres offense paired up with their improved defense with the additions of Regehr and Ehrhoff, we’re thinking all world goalie Ryan Miller is feeling a lot better about things in western New York.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 0
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)