Jul 1, 2011, 1:22 PM EST
While the Florida Panthers don’t know if they’ll be getting Tomas Vokoun back, they’re being proactive in making sure they’re not left out in the cold for goaltending.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon signed veteran goalie Jose Theodore to a two year, $3 million deal to get Theodore in Florida to play goal. Whether he’ll end up being the starter in Sunrise or the backup to another goalie remains to be seen. It’s possible that youngster Jacob Markstrom could get his chance to show what he’s got but with Scott Clemmensen still in Florida, it’s likely we’ll see Theodore and Clemmensen split starts.
Theodore is a former Hart Trophy and Vezina Trophy winner with Montreal in 2002 and since then his fortune hasn’t gone as well. He did well in a backup role with the Minnesota Wild last season, but he’s shown that he can still get it done as a starter in previous stints in Washington and Colorado. How he does in Florida will be interesting as he’s set to split time this year with Clemmensen and mentoring Markstrom as well.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 17
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)