Jul 1, 2011, 1:22 PM EST
While the Florida Panthers don’t know if they’ll be getting Tomas Vokoun back, they’re being proactive in making sure they’re not left out in the cold for goaltending.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon signed veteran goalie Jose Theodore to a two year, $3 million deal to get Theodore in Florida to play goal. Whether he’ll end up being the starter in Sunrise or the backup to another goalie remains to be seen. It’s possible that youngster Jacob Markstrom could get his chance to show what he’s got but with Scott Clemmensen still in Florida, it’s likely we’ll see Theodore and Clemmensen split starts.
Theodore is a former Hart Trophy and Vezina Trophy winner with Montreal in 2002 and since then his fortune hasn’t gone as well. He did well in a backup role with the Minnesota Wild last season, but he’s shown that he can still get it done as a starter in previous stints in Washington and Colorado. How he does in Florida will be interesting as he’s set to split time this year with Clemmensen and mentoring Markstrom as well.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)