Jul 1, 2011, 1:22 PM EDT
While the Florida Panthers don’t know if they’ll be getting Tomas Vokoun back, they’re being proactive in making sure they’re not left out in the cold for goaltending.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon signed veteran goalie Jose Theodore to a two year, $3 million deal to get Theodore in Florida to play goal. Whether he’ll end up being the starter in Sunrise or the backup to another goalie remains to be seen. It’s possible that youngster Jacob Markstrom could get his chance to show what he’s got but with Scott Clemmensen still in Florida, it’s likely we’ll see Theodore and Clemmensen split starts.
Theodore is a former Hart Trophy and Vezina Trophy winner with Montreal in 2002 and since then his fortune hasn’t gone as well. He did well in a backup role with the Minnesota Wild last season, but he’s shown that he can still get it done as a starter in previous stints in Washington and Colorado. How he does in Florida will be interesting as he’s set to split time this year with Clemmensen and mentoring Markstrom as well.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)