Jul 1, 2011, 1:22 PM EDT
While the Florida Panthers don’t know if they’ll be getting Tomas Vokoun back, they’re being proactive in making sure they’re not left out in the cold for goaltending.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon signed veteran goalie Jose Theodore to a two year, $3 million deal to get Theodore in Florida to play goal. Whether he’ll end up being the starter in Sunrise or the backup to another goalie remains to be seen. It’s possible that youngster Jacob Markstrom could get his chance to show what he’s got but with Scott Clemmensen still in Florida, it’s likely we’ll see Theodore and Clemmensen split starts.
Theodore is a former Hart Trophy and Vezina Trophy winner with Montreal in 2002 and since then his fortune hasn’t gone as well. He did well in a backup role with the Minnesota Wild last season, but he’s shown that he can still get it done as a starter in previous stints in Washington and Colorado. How he does in Florida will be interesting as he’s set to split time this year with Clemmensen and mentoring Markstrom as well.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 3
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)