Jul 1, 2011, 1:22 PM EDT
While the Florida Panthers don’t know if they’ll be getting Tomas Vokoun back, they’re being proactive in making sure they’re not left out in the cold for goaltending.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon signed veteran goalie Jose Theodore to a two year, $3 million deal to get Theodore in Florida to play goal. Whether he’ll end up being the starter in Sunrise or the backup to another goalie remains to be seen. It’s possible that youngster Jacob Markstrom could get his chance to show what he’s got but with Scott Clemmensen still in Florida, it’s likely we’ll see Theodore and Clemmensen split starts.
Theodore is a former Hart Trophy and Vezina Trophy winner with Montreal in 2002 and since then his fortune hasn’t gone as well. He did well in a backup role with the Minnesota Wild last season, but he’s shown that he can still get it done as a starter in previous stints in Washington and Colorado. How he does in Florida will be interesting as he’s set to split time this year with Clemmensen and mentoring Markstrom as well.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 29
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 14
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3