Jul 1, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
Mutual needs can sometimes get worked out well. After the Flyers went hog wild today signing Jaromir Jagr as well as Maxime Talbot to big free agent deals to join Ilya Bryzgalov in Philadelphia, the salary cap was creeping up on the Flyers. Consider that problem solved now as they’re hooking up a team that needs to add payroll in the worst way.
Philadelphia traded Kris Versteeg to Florida in exchange for either a 2012 or 2013 second round pick and 2013 third round pick. Florida adds Versteeg and his $3.083 salary cap hit to the team as well as his up and down production. He’s a guy that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is more than familiar with from his days in Chicago. Last year with Toronto and Philadelphia, Versteeg scored 21 goals and added 25 assists. He’s scored 20 or more goals for the last three seasons and he’s a consistent contributor that way.
For Philly, they’re happy to free up the space on the roster for Jaromir Jagr and make separating the lines a bit easier. Florida gets another guy that can score goals and helps make their payroll a bit more respectable. If nothing else, Tallon is doing his part to get people talking about the Florida Panthers again. With their signings of Scottie Upshall, Ed Jovanovski, and Jose Theodore the Panthers are doing work and adding money. How it translates into wins remains to be seen, but there’s a little bit of excitement in Sunrise.
For Philadelphia, you have to wonder if they’re making room for another signing or two by getting Versteeg out of town or if they’re just trying to give themselves breathing space against the cap.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)