Jul 1, 2011, 4:29 PM EST
Mutual needs can sometimes get worked out well. After the Flyers went hog wild today signing Jaromir Jagr as well as Maxime Talbot to big free agent deals to join Ilya Bryzgalov in Philadelphia, the salary cap was creeping up on the Flyers. Consider that problem solved now as they’re hooking up a team that needs to add payroll in the worst way.
Philadelphia traded Kris Versteeg to Florida in exchange for either a 2012 or 2013 second round pick and 2013 third round pick. Florida adds Versteeg and his $3.083 salary cap hit to the team as well as his up and down production. He’s a guy that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is more than familiar with from his days in Chicago. Last year with Toronto and Philadelphia, Versteeg scored 21 goals and added 25 assists. He’s scored 20 or more goals for the last three seasons and he’s a consistent contributor that way.
For Philly, they’re happy to free up the space on the roster for Jaromir Jagr and make separating the lines a bit easier. Florida gets another guy that can score goals and helps make their payroll a bit more respectable. If nothing else, Tallon is doing his part to get people talking about the Florida Panthers again. With their signings of Scottie Upshall, Ed Jovanovski, and Jose Theodore the Panthers are doing work and adding money. How it translates into wins remains to be seen, but there’s a little bit of excitement in Sunrise.
For Philadelphia, you have to wonder if they’re making room for another signing or two by getting Versteeg out of town or if they’re just trying to give themselves breathing space against the cap.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 0
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 13
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28