Jul 1, 2011, 12:53 PM EST
Defenseman Andy Greene briefly hit the unrestricted free agent market briefly Friday, but the New Jersey Devils didn’t let him last very long. They signed him to a four-year deal today. We’ll update this post with the financial details once they’re released.
Greene has been a bit of an under-the-radar asset on New Jersey’s drastically weaker blueline during the last two seasons in particular. He’s come a long way from being an undrafted free agent, scoring a career-high 37 points in 2009-10 and 23 in 10-11. He’s received big minutes the last two seasons as well, averaging more than 23 in 09-10 and more than 22 in 10-11. Only Ilya Kovalchuk (a rare forward who lead his team in ice time) and Henrik Tallinder earned slightly higher time on ice averages than Greene last season.
The only downside to Greene’s last two seasons is that he went from +9 in 09-10 to -23 in 10-11. That signifies that he’s probably the product of his environment at times – he’s not the type to be “the only plus player on a bad team” – but he’s still been a solid offensive defenseman for the Devils. It seems like a good idea for New Jersey, as long as his price was reasonable.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)