Jun 30, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Two blunders will probably follow Ryan O’Byrne for the rest of his career.
The first (and worst) one happened in 2008 when O’Byrne snatched a woman’s purse at a Tampa Bay nightclub. Charges were dropped after he apologized and did some community service, but the hockey world still holds onto that incident as an amusing punchline.
That wasn’t the only punchline-earning moment for the young defenseman, however. He joined the embarrassed ranks of defensemen who scored a goal on their own net when he was a member of the Montreal Canadiens during a 4-3 shootout loss to the New York Islanders in November 2008. Like many of his ashamed counterparts, O’Byrne was the victim of bad luck and unfortunate timing because he sent the puck toward his own net without realizing that Carey Price vacated the team’s net because a penalty had been called on the Islanders. As you can guess, these types of moments are hard to live down.
The Colorado Avalanche managed to look beyond those two muffled moments and saw a big (6-feet-5, 234 lbs.) defenseman who is starting to live up to his potential at 26 years old. The team gave him a nice raise today, handing him a two-year, $3.6 million deal. That $1.8 million per year salary almost doubles his 2010-11 allotment of $941K.
Who knows if such a payday will silence all the jokes about purse snatching and own goals, but it’s possible that O’Byrne will have the last laugh.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)