Jun 30, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Two blunders will probably follow Ryan O’Byrne for the rest of his career.
The first (and worst) one happened in 2008 when O’Byrne snatched a woman’s purse at a Tampa Bay nightclub. Charges were dropped after he apologized and did some community service, but the hockey world still holds onto that incident as an amusing punchline.
That wasn’t the only punchline-earning moment for the young defenseman, however. He joined the embarrassed ranks of defensemen who scored a goal on their own net when he was a member of the Montreal Canadiens during a 4-3 shootout loss to the New York Islanders in November 2008. Like many of his ashamed counterparts, O’Byrne was the victim of bad luck and unfortunate timing because he sent the puck toward his own net without realizing that Carey Price vacated the team’s net because a penalty had been called on the Islanders. As you can guess, these types of moments are hard to live down.
The Colorado Avalanche managed to look beyond those two muffled moments and saw a big (6-feet-5, 234 lbs.) defenseman who is starting to live up to his potential at 26 years old. The team gave him a nice raise today, handing him a two-year, $3.6 million deal. That $1.8 million per year salary almost doubles his 2010-11 allotment of $941K.
Who knows if such a payday will silence all the jokes about purse snatching and own goals, but it’s possible that O’Byrne will have the last laugh.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)