Jun 30, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT
While the Buffalo Sabres try to convince Christian Ehrhoff to join their team after trading a fourth rounder for his negotiating rights, the Chicago Blackhawks didn’t hesitate to lock down Steve Montador after acquiring his rights from Buffalo for a seventh round pick. Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman gave Montador a four-year, $11 million contract (amounting to a $2.75 million annual cap hit).
That’s a hefty cap hit for a journeyman defenseman such as Montador. He bounced around the league following the lockout, going from Calgary to Florida to Anaheim to Boston and finally Buffalo before parking in Chicago now.
Chicago’s rivals were worried about all the cap space created by the Brian Campbell trade, yet it’s been pointed out that the takeaway really might just be Montador, mediocre forward Rostislav Olesz and $1 million in cap space. To be fair, the Blackhawks’ savings are still better in the long term since Olesz’s deal runs out in 2013-14 and Montador’s does in 14-15 while Campbell’s lingers until 15-16. Still, it’s tough to argue that Chicago didn’t exactly maximize the benefits of their opportunity.
Of course, the Blackhawks won’t really care what we think if Montador ends up being the dependable defenseman they’re hoping for. The versatile but limited blueliner averaged a career-high 19:43 minutes per game in 2010-11 and can score a little bit (four seasons with 20+ points), so he’s not a total waste of space. It just seems like he’ll take more cap room than he should.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)