Jun 29, 2011, 11:26 PM EDT
We forgive you if your head starts spinning trying to keep up with the pinball-like patterns of teams trading negotiation rights for draft picks.
That process continued moments ago, as the Buffalo Sabres sent defenseman Steve Montador‘s negotiating rights to the Chicago Blackhawks for a seventh round pick. That seventh round pick was involved in the trade that sent Tomas Kopecky to the Florida Panthers. To keep it simple, the Nashville Predators will meet (or fail to meet) conditions that will determine if the Sabres end up with a seventh round pick in 2012 or 2013. (It’s probably a moot point unless the Sabres make like the Detroit Red Wings and find the next Pavel Datsyuk in a future seventh round.)
On the Blackhawks end, they get the chance to fill a hole in their roster created by Brian Campbell‘s departure. Naturally, Montador is nowhere near the offensive talent that Campbell is but he might be able to gobble up some minutes with semi-competent (and most importantly, cheap) play.
The implications of this trade are a bit more interesting for the Sabres, though. Forgive me for reading between the lines, but the Sabres just shipped their fourth round pick to the New York Islanders for Christian Ehrhoff’s negotiating rights. Could this move be a sign that Buffalo is on the verge of signing Ehrhoff? It’s obviously too early to tell, but that seems like a reasonable leap to make.
We’ll let you know if there’s fire to go with that smoke, though.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 55
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming