Jun 29, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
The quest to bring Jaromir Jagr back to the NHL is nearly at an end. After the Penguins made their offer to the former Pittsburgh legend, the other two teams pursuing Jagr have also put their offers in as well.
With Detroit and Montreal also hot after the 39 year-old future Hall of Famer, Jagr has a host of stellar options to choose from and according to his agent a decision is coming today.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review finds out from Jagr’s agent Petr Svoboda that he’ll make a decision sometime today as to where he’ll want to lace them up next year.
″He is flying to New York (from the Czech Republic) right now,″ agent Petr Svoboda said. ″He is coming this afternoon and will tell us his answer then.″
A decision from Jagr is likely coming down at any time now but he won’t be allowed to sign his deal with who he’s choosing until Friday afternoon when the free agency signing period begins. Either way, one of three teams will be welcoming a legend into town to try and win them a Stanley Cup.
If it’s Pittsburgh, he’ll join Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in trying to bring the Cup back there after two years. Should he go to Detroit, he’ll team up with Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg to try and light the world on fire in scoring. If he opts for Montreal, he’ll join countryman Tomas Plekanec who he’s played outstanding with during the Olympics and World Championships and help make Plekanec a more consistent player for the Canadiens.
Either way, Jagr Mania is in full effect everywhere and why not? He can still produce at a high rate and help compliment the best players on the team as well as be hugely productive on the power play.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 43
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury