Jun 29, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
The quest to bring Jaromir Jagr back to the NHL is nearly at an end. After the Penguins made their offer to the former Pittsburgh legend, the other two teams pursuing Jagr have also put their offers in as well.
With Detroit and Montreal also hot after the 39 year-old future Hall of Famer, Jagr has a host of stellar options to choose from and according to his agent a decision is coming today.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review finds out from Jagr’s agent Petr Svoboda that he’ll make a decision sometime today as to where he’ll want to lace them up next year.
″He is flying to New York (from the Czech Republic) right now,″ agent Petr Svoboda said. ″He is coming this afternoon and will tell us his answer then.″
A decision from Jagr is likely coming down at any time now but he won’t be allowed to sign his deal with who he’s choosing until Friday afternoon when the free agency signing period begins. Either way, one of three teams will be welcoming a legend into town to try and win them a Stanley Cup.
If it’s Pittsburgh, he’ll join Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in trying to bring the Cup back there after two years. Should he go to Detroit, he’ll team up with Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg to try and light the world on fire in scoring. If he opts for Montreal, he’ll join countryman Tomas Plekanec who he’s played outstanding with during the Olympics and World Championships and help make Plekanec a more consistent player for the Canadiens.
Either way, Jagr Mania is in full effect everywhere and why not? He can still produce at a high rate and help compliment the best players on the team as well as be hugely productive on the power play.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)