Jun 29, 2011, 10:43 PM EST
In certain corners of Twitter, #jagrwatch really grew out of control today and tonight.
In case you’re not familiar with the phenomenon, many hockey fans have been frothing at the mouth for updates regarding which team Jaromir Jagr might chose as his return to the NHL seems more and more likely. Things grew to such a fever pitch that people were even posting photos of Jagr at an airport, though it’s unclear if that had anything to do with his travels today. (His face looked a bit on the chubby side in those photos – relatively speaking – lending some credibility to those pictures coming from June 29.)
It sounds like it might boil down to a decision between a reunion with the team of his glory days (the Pittsburgh Penguins) or an inspired match with the European/veteran player loving Detroit Red Wings, but we’ll wait and see what actually happens.* One thing seems clear (barring yet another curve ball, of course): we won’t find out tonight.
Jaromir Jagr’s agent Petr Svboda said that there won’t be an update tonight, which probably should’ve been evident after reports circulated that the former NHL star was unavailable shortly after he was supposed to arrive at a New York airport.
It might be tough to remain calm as the free agent frenzy approaches, but that seems to be the lesson of the latest chapter in the Jagr saga. While many sit on pins and needles amid #jagrwatch, it might just be best to wait for an official announcement.
Don’t get us wrong though … we’ll probably have some more fun with it as Friday, July 1 approaches, too.
* – The Montreal Canadiens are among the other teams who might get in on the Jagr sweepstakes, too.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)