Jun 29, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
In certain corners of Twitter, #jagrwatch really grew out of control today and tonight.
In case you’re not familiar with the phenomenon, many hockey fans have been frothing at the mouth for updates regarding which team Jaromir Jagr might chose as his return to the NHL seems more and more likely. Things grew to such a fever pitch that people were even posting photos of Jagr at an airport, though it’s unclear if that had anything to do with his travels today. (His face looked a bit on the chubby side in those photos – relatively speaking – lending some credibility to those pictures coming from June 29.)
It sounds like it might boil down to a decision between a reunion with the team of his glory days (the Pittsburgh Penguins) or an inspired match with the European/veteran player loving Detroit Red Wings, but we’ll wait and see what actually happens.* One thing seems clear (barring yet another curve ball, of course): we won’t find out tonight.
Jaromir Jagr’s agent Petr Svboda said that there won’t be an update tonight, which probably should’ve been evident after reports circulated that the former NHL star was unavailable shortly after he was supposed to arrive at a New York airport.
It might be tough to remain calm as the free agent frenzy approaches, but that seems to be the lesson of the latest chapter in the Jagr saga. While many sit on pins and needles amid #jagrwatch, it might just be best to wait for an official announcement.
Don’t get us wrong though … we’ll probably have some more fun with it as Friday, July 1 approaches, too.
* – The Montreal Canadiens are among the other teams who might get in on the Jagr sweepstakes, too.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)