Jun 29, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
In certain corners of Twitter, #jagrwatch really grew out of control today and tonight.
In case you’re not familiar with the phenomenon, many hockey fans have been frothing at the mouth for updates regarding which team Jaromir Jagr might chose as his return to the NHL seems more and more likely. Things grew to such a fever pitch that people were even posting photos of Jagr at an airport, though it’s unclear if that had anything to do with his travels today. (His face looked a bit on the chubby side in those photos – relatively speaking – lending some credibility to those pictures coming from June 29.)
It sounds like it might boil down to a decision between a reunion with the team of his glory days (the Pittsburgh Penguins) or an inspired match with the European/veteran player loving Detroit Red Wings, but we’ll wait and see what actually happens.* One thing seems clear (barring yet another curve ball, of course): we won’t find out tonight.
Jaromir Jagr’s agent Petr Svboda said that there won’t be an update tonight, which probably should’ve been evident after reports circulated that the former NHL star was unavailable shortly after he was supposed to arrive at a New York airport.
It might be tough to remain calm as the free agent frenzy approaches, but that seems to be the lesson of the latest chapter in the Jagr saga. While many sit on pins and needles amid #jagrwatch, it might just be best to wait for an official announcement.
Don’t get us wrong though … we’ll probably have some more fun with it as Friday, July 1 approaches, too.
* – The Montreal Canadiens are among the other teams who might get in on the Jagr sweepstakes, too.
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 14
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29