Jun 29, 2011, 10:43 PM EST
In certain corners of Twitter, #jagrwatch really grew out of control today and tonight.
In case you’re not familiar with the phenomenon, many hockey fans have been frothing at the mouth for updates regarding which team Jaromir Jagr might chose as his return to the NHL seems more and more likely. Things grew to such a fever pitch that people were even posting photos of Jagr at an airport, though it’s unclear if that had anything to do with his travels today. (His face looked a bit on the chubby side in those photos – relatively speaking – lending some credibility to those pictures coming from June 29.)
It sounds like it might boil down to a decision between a reunion with the team of his glory days (the Pittsburgh Penguins) or an inspired match with the European/veteran player loving Detroit Red Wings, but we’ll wait and see what actually happens.* One thing seems clear (barring yet another curve ball, of course): we won’t find out tonight.
Jaromir Jagr’s agent Petr Svboda said that there won’t be an update tonight, which probably should’ve been evident after reports circulated that the former NHL star was unavailable shortly after he was supposed to arrive at a New York airport.
It might be tough to remain calm as the free agent frenzy approaches, but that seems to be the lesson of the latest chapter in the Jagr saga. While many sit on pins and needles amid #jagrwatch, it might just be best to wait for an official announcement.
Don’t get us wrong though … we’ll probably have some more fun with it as Friday, July 1 approaches, too.
* – The Montreal Canadiens are among the other teams who might get in on the Jagr sweepstakes, too.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)