Jun 28, 2011, 11:48 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have some huge questions to answer this summer, with Steven Stamkos, both of their goalies, Simon Gagne, Teddy Purcell and Sean Bergenheim included among their pending free agents. With those big decisions in mind, GM Steve Yzerman is chipping away at some of the smaller ones.
One million per year seems a bit steep for an offensive defenseman with marginal market appeal. The Lightning picked up Bergeron midway through the 2010-11 season after he showed that he recovered from knee surgery, but he didn’t exactly silence his doubters. Whatever the case may be, he did enough to convince Yzerman to keep him around as a power play specialist and depth defenseman.
Lightning fans are probably happier to hear that the team also retained gritty forward Adam Hall with a one-year deal, though. Hall scored 18 points in 82 regular season games in 10-11 but most tellingly saw a big increase in time on ice per game, averaging almost 15 minutes each night after being relegated to the AHL in 2009-10 and only receiving a little more than 11 minutes per game in 08-09.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)