Jun 28, 2011, 11:48 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have some huge questions to answer this summer, with Steven Stamkos, both of their goalies, Simon Gagne, Teddy Purcell and Sean Bergenheim included among their pending free agents. With those big decisions in mind, GM Steve Yzerman is chipping away at some of the smaller ones.
One million per year seems a bit steep for an offensive defenseman with marginal market appeal. The Lightning picked up Bergeron midway through the 2010-11 season after he showed that he recovered from knee surgery, but he didn’t exactly silence his doubters. Whatever the case may be, he did enough to convince Yzerman to keep him around as a power play specialist and depth defenseman.
Lightning fans are probably happier to hear that the team also retained gritty forward Adam Hall with a one-year deal, though. Hall scored 18 points in 82 regular season games in 10-11 but most tellingly saw a big increase in time on ice per game, averaging almost 15 minutes each night after being relegated to the AHL in 2009-10 and only receiving a little more than 11 minutes per game in 08-09.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)