Jun 28, 2011, 11:48 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have some huge questions to answer this summer, with Steven Stamkos, both of their goalies, Simon Gagne, Teddy Purcell and Sean Bergenheim included among their pending free agents. With those big decisions in mind, GM Steve Yzerman is chipping away at some of the smaller ones.
One million per year seems a bit steep for an offensive defenseman with marginal market appeal. The Lightning picked up Bergeron midway through the 2010-11 season after he showed that he recovered from knee surgery, but he didn’t exactly silence his doubters. Whatever the case may be, he did enough to convince Yzerman to keep him around as a power play specialist and depth defenseman.
Lightning fans are probably happier to hear that the team also retained gritty forward Adam Hall with a one-year deal, though. Hall scored 18 points in 82 regular season games in 10-11 but most tellingly saw a big increase in time on ice per game, averaging almost 15 minutes each night after being relegated to the AHL in 2009-10 and only receiving a little more than 11 minutes per game in 08-09.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)