Andrew Brunette fires Uptown Hockey over comments on Sean Avery’s support of marriage equality

Jun 28, 2011, 10:18 PM EDT

Andrew Brunette Getty Images

This past weekend in New York was a big one for Rangers forward Sean Avery. While he’s not playing in any games, the marriage equality bill he helped to promote in New York State passed through government and was approved making New York the sixth state to allow gay marriage.

While Avery did his part in his crusade to help bring the struggle into the mainstream, there were others in the hockey community who didn’t see eye-to-eye with him on that matter. Don and Todd Reynolds of Uptown Hockey sports agency voiced their disagreement with Avery’s stance on the matter and created a firestorm of comments launched against them for their highly insensitive take on things.

When the Reynolds’ made their feelings known on marriage equality, it was obvious they were doing so without taking into account how their public take on the matter might affect their ability to conduct business in the NHL. After all, if you’re a player working with them and you disagree with their thoughts or don’t care for how they’ve brought a heap of negative attention to you via proxy, that’s a big problem.

It was apparently a big enough problem for impending Minnesota Wild free agent Andrew Brunette as, according to Michael Russo of The Star Tribune,  fired Uptown Hockey from representing him and hired Don Baizley as his new agent.

Bryan Reynolds (not related to the guys at Uptown Hockey mind you) of Hockey Wilderness had this to say about Brunette and the situation.

We won’t go into the whole sordid tale again, but we will say this. Good on ya, Bruno. I personally did not think it was possible to respect Andrew Brunette anymore than I already did, but this move makes it clear I was wrong. A bold move by a good man.

A bold move for sure and one that puts the heat back on the Reynolds’ at Uptown Hockey about how to conduct business and to learn how to do things in a more modern and progressive era. After all, Avery’s take on things and his activism to seek out equal rights and more normalized treatment for all people is a good thing. It’s a very good thing and Avery is using his position to put more heat on the league and others around it do more to help out as he told the New York Post’s Larry Brooks.

“The support I received from the Garden, Mr. [James] Dolan, Glen [Rangers general manager Sather] and [president of MSG Sports] Scott O’Neil meant everything to me, but it was a little disappointing not to have heard from anyone connected with the league,” Avery said.

“It would be great for the NHL to take the lead among professional sports leagues in terms of social equality and justice and be out front and progressive regarding issues like this.”

Avery’s right. Other sports and certainly other industries aren’t doing nearly as much as he or even the New York Rangers have done about this subject. Given the response by hockey fans around the world by Avery and now Brunette’s actions, joining in and supporting such causes is a good move. After all, this is about people treating each other like human beings and not like second-class citizens. Seeing hockey players, who are often shown to be cement heads, become more active for social causes like this one is a great thing to see.

Seeing the Reynolds’ and Uptown Hockey suffer because of their lack of compassion provides a healthy amount of schadenfreude for a lot of people.

1. dreadpiratesteve - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:22 PM

This is not news…

• johndsykes86 - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Actually it is news. Even if you dont like the slant. If you dont agree with Avery’s or Brunette’s stance, great. But don’t case it aside as not news for that fact.

it’s an free agent firing their agent (which, btw represents him in dealing with other clubs and can influence where he ends up) FFS.

• dreadpiratesteve - Jun 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I don’t like or dislike the slant. I am simply tired of hearing about it. Sports are a nice change of pace from the rest of the world. They are an escape. I don’t need to have nonsense like this included in my sports. If its not about sports please stop reporting it.

• whatagreatfootballmind - Jun 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM

So if player X gets drunk and drives head-on into another car and kills a family of 4, everything is okay with you, because, hey, i got my sports, damn it.

If player X has a stolen gun and wearing a bullet proof vest driving with at 3 am, that is okay too right, because, hey i’ve got my sports.

sports is great, but it isn’t everything. get a life.

• dreadpiratesteve - Jun 29, 2011 at 1:00 AM

My point is that I do have a life outside of sports. I like to have sports as an escape from stories of familes of 4 dying and gun related crimes and gay marriage and global warming and anything else that currently ails the world in which we live. I don’t want to hear about this things when I watch or read about sports too. But you are obviously a raging simpleton who uses his spare time to eat paste so that point was obviously lost on you.

• whatagreatfootballmind - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:18 AM

you know what this “raging simpleton” actually has a life outside of sports. dont get me wrong, i like sports just as much as the next guy, but i am not going to live and die over it. i actually have a wife and kids to support. i don’t sit down stairs in my mommy and daddys basement and mooch everything off of them.

• dreadpiratesteve - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM

That’s the point I’ve been making this whole time. With a name like whatagreatfootballmind you are obviously making an aside to the brain damage you suffered earlier in life since that point is lost on you.

2. whatagreatfootballmind - Jun 28, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Brunette has always been and always will be a class act.

3. nhlbruins90 - Jun 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM

A hat-tip to Sean Avery and Andrew Brunette. Also, to the Republican senators who voted in favor. It’s easy to ‘take a stand’ when it costs you nothing. Not so easy when it might cost you your senate seat.

4. dansnydersux - Jun 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Dread, because of it was a sports agency and athletes commenting on a social issue, it became a sports story. Plus, if you “don’t want to hear about this (sic) things when (you) watch or read about sports, too,” you could always just ignore it and click on another link.

5. homelanddefense - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:59 PM

after reading the comments I am confused as to who is the raging simpleton

6. unknowneric - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I already liked Brunette, but this might launch him into my top 5 favorite players.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches