Jun 27, 2011, 5:16 PM EST
Right when you thought the Flyers were done making deals, they jump out and get another one done.
This time around it’s not a blockbuster deal but one that could help lead them to signing some of their own players a bit easier. Philly sent physical forward and penalty killer Darroll Powe to Minnesota in exchange for a 2013 third round pick. Last season, Powe was the Flyers leader in hits with 196. He also was one of their top penalty killers and plays with tremendous speed. The Wild will be happy to have him along for the ride playing center on the third or fourth line there.
For Philadelphia, it means they’re likely making room to try and re-sign their remaining restricted free agents in newly acquired forwards Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds. The Flyers have already taken care of Andreas Nodl with a two-year deal earlier today. There’s also the Ville Leino factor involved here.
Leino is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and Philly would love to keep him around, except there’s a difference of opinion in what it’ll take to keep him around financially. If Leino hits the open market, there could be a lot of teams knocking on his door to make him a deal that won’t do well by the Flyers salary cap situation. If the Flyers wan’t to get things done now, they’ve got until Friday to make it happen.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)