Jun 27, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Right when you thought the Flyers were done making deals, they jump out and get another one done.
This time around it’s not a blockbuster deal but one that could help lead them to signing some of their own players a bit easier. Philly sent physical forward and penalty killer Darroll Powe to Minnesota in exchange for a 2013 third round pick. Last season, Powe was the Flyers leader in hits with 196. He also was one of their top penalty killers and plays with tremendous speed. The Wild will be happy to have him along for the ride playing center on the third or fourth line there.
For Philadelphia, it means they’re likely making room to try and re-sign their remaining restricted free agents in newly acquired forwards Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds. The Flyers have already taken care of Andreas Nodl with a two-year deal earlier today. There’s also the Ville Leino factor involved here.
Leino is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and Philly would love to keep him around, except there’s a difference of opinion in what it’ll take to keep him around financially. If Leino hits the open market, there could be a lot of teams knocking on his door to make him a deal that won’t do well by the Flyers salary cap situation. If the Flyers wan’t to get things done now, they’ve got until Friday to make it happen.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)