Jun 27, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Right when you thought the Flyers were done making deals, they jump out and get another one done.
This time around it’s not a blockbuster deal but one that could help lead them to signing some of their own players a bit easier. Philly sent physical forward and penalty killer Darroll Powe to Minnesota in exchange for a 2013 third round pick. Last season, Powe was the Flyers leader in hits with 196. He also was one of their top penalty killers and plays with tremendous speed. The Wild will be happy to have him along for the ride playing center on the third or fourth line there.
For Philadelphia, it means they’re likely making room to try and re-sign their remaining restricted free agents in newly acquired forwards Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds. The Flyers have already taken care of Andreas Nodl with a two-year deal earlier today. There’s also the Ville Leino factor involved here.
Leino is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and Philly would love to keep him around, except there’s a difference of opinion in what it’ll take to keep him around financially. If Leino hits the open market, there could be a lot of teams knocking on his door to make him a deal that won’t do well by the Flyers salary cap situation. If the Flyers wan’t to get things done now, they’ve got until Friday to make it happen.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)