Jun 27, 2011, 5:16 PM EST
Right when you thought the Flyers were done making deals, they jump out and get another one done.
This time around it’s not a blockbuster deal but one that could help lead them to signing some of their own players a bit easier. Philly sent physical forward and penalty killer Darroll Powe to Minnesota in exchange for a 2013 third round pick. Last season, Powe was the Flyers leader in hits with 196. He also was one of their top penalty killers and plays with tremendous speed. The Wild will be happy to have him along for the ride playing center on the third or fourth line there.
For Philadelphia, it means they’re likely making room to try and re-sign their remaining restricted free agents in newly acquired forwards Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds. The Flyers have already taken care of Andreas Nodl with a two-year deal earlier today. There’s also the Ville Leino factor involved here.
Leino is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and Philly would love to keep him around, except there’s a difference of opinion in what it’ll take to keep him around financially. If Leino hits the open market, there could be a lot of teams knocking on his door to make him a deal that won’t do well by the Flyers salary cap situation. If the Flyers wan’t to get things done now, they’ve got until Friday to make it happen.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 20
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 23
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 46
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (54)
- Wild upset with late penalty call that led to Blackhawks winner (48)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (46)