Jun 27, 2011, 5:16 PM EST
Right when you thought the Flyers were done making deals, they jump out and get another one done.
This time around it’s not a blockbuster deal but one that could help lead them to signing some of their own players a bit easier. Philly sent physical forward and penalty killer Darroll Powe to Minnesota in exchange for a 2013 third round pick. Last season, Powe was the Flyers leader in hits with 196. He also was one of their top penalty killers and plays with tremendous speed. The Wild will be happy to have him along for the ride playing center on the third or fourth line there.
For Philadelphia, it means they’re likely making room to try and re-sign their remaining restricted free agents in newly acquired forwards Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds. The Flyers have already taken care of Andreas Nodl with a two-year deal earlier today. There’s also the Ville Leino factor involved here.
Leino is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and Philly would love to keep him around, except there’s a difference of opinion in what it’ll take to keep him around financially. If Leino hits the open market, there could be a lot of teams knocking on his door to make him a deal that won’t do well by the Flyers salary cap situation. If the Flyers wan’t to get things done now, they’ve got until Friday to make it happen.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)