Jun 25, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
It’s a small deal but one that could have people patting Steve Yzerman on the back for later. Tampa Bay acquired defenseman Bruno Gervais from the New York Islanders in exchange for future considerations.
Gervais was a serviceable blue liner for the Isles and a good depth guy. Gervais’ issue through his career has been staying healthy as he’s never played a full 82 game season in his career. With the depth the Lightning have on the blue line, Gervais will fight for a starting spot.
After all with the likes of Eric Brewer, Pavel Kubina, Victor Hedman, Mattias Ohlund, and Brett Clark finding ice time will be tough. Gervais will compete to be the sixth guy in the mix there. If he can stay healthy and keep his game strong, he’ll get his share of ice time. If all goes correctly and he does blend in well, he’ll help both Yzerman and Guy Boucher look like the smartest guys around all over again.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)