Jun 25, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
It’s a small deal but one that could have people patting Steve Yzerman on the back for later. Tampa Bay acquired defenseman Bruno Gervais from the New York Islanders in exchange for future considerations.
Gervais was a serviceable blue liner for the Isles and a good depth guy. Gervais’ issue through his career has been staying healthy as he’s never played a full 82 game season in his career. With the depth the Lightning have on the blue line, Gervais will fight for a starting spot.
After all with the likes of Eric Brewer, Pavel Kubina, Victor Hedman, Mattias Ohlund, and Brett Clark finding ice time will be tough. Gervais will compete to be the sixth guy in the mix there. If he can stay healthy and keep his game strong, he’ll get his share of ice time. If all goes correctly and he does blend in well, he’ll help both Yzerman and Guy Boucher look like the smartest guys around all over again.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 32
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 44
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (46)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)