Jun 25, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
It’s a small deal but one that could have people patting Steve Yzerman on the back for later. Tampa Bay acquired defenseman Bruno Gervais from the New York Islanders in exchange for future considerations.
Gervais was a serviceable blue liner for the Isles and a good depth guy. Gervais’ issue through his career has been staying healthy as he’s never played a full 82 game season in his career. With the depth the Lightning have on the blue line, Gervais will fight for a starting spot.
After all with the likes of Eric Brewer, Pavel Kubina, Victor Hedman, Mattias Ohlund, and Brett Clark finding ice time will be tough. Gervais will compete to be the sixth guy in the mix there. If he can stay healthy and keep his game strong, he’ll get his share of ice time. If all goes correctly and he does blend in well, he’ll help both Yzerman and Guy Boucher look like the smartest guys around all over again.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)