Jun 25, 2011, 2:07 PM EST
It’s a small deal but one that could have people patting Steve Yzerman on the back for later. Tampa Bay acquired defenseman Bruno Gervais from the New York Islanders in exchange for future considerations.
Gervais was a serviceable blue liner for the Isles and a good depth guy. Gervais’ issue through his career has been staying healthy as he’s never played a full 82 game season in his career. With the depth the Lightning have on the blue line, Gervais will fight for a starting spot.
After all with the likes of Eric Brewer, Pavel Kubina, Victor Hedman, Mattias Ohlund, and Brett Clark finding ice time will be tough. Gervais will compete to be the sixth guy in the mix there. If he can stay healthy and keep his game strong, he’ll get his share of ice time. If all goes correctly and he does blend in well, he’ll help both Yzerman and Guy Boucher look like the smartest guys around all over again.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 5
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 43
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (122)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)