Jun 25, 2011, 6:21 PM EDT
The on-again, off-again deal that would send Ryan Smyth back to the Edmonton Oilers is (for the moment) off according to Kings general manager Dean Lombardi. The deal that was originally reported by TSN at the beginning of the first round at the 2011 Entry Draft on Friday would not be confirmed by the Oilers, nor the Kings.
Now we know why.
Apparently the major piece in the deal from the Kings’ point of view was not Gilbert Brule, but the cap space they’d save from buying Brule’s contract out as soon as he arrived in Los Angeles. Even though the Oilers have insisted that Brule has already been cleared to play, the Kings feel that certain assurances have not been made within the context of the trade. TSN’s Darren Dreger has the story:
“Sources say the Kings were willing to accept Brule as part of the deal with the intent of buying him out, however the collective bargaining agreement forbids teams from buying out an injured player.
Long after the conclusion of first round of the Entry Draft on Friday night, representatives from Los Angeles, Edmonton and the NHL engaged in a group discussion in an attempt to salvage the trade, but were unsuccessful.”
Clearly, this poses a significant problem for both sides. At this point, the Kings will continue to trade Smyth to a team somewhere closer to his home. Rumors before the announced trade had the Kings sending Smyth possibility to the Calgary Flames. Since the deal (as currently constructed) with the Oilers has fallen apart, Lombardi has already given a call to Flames GM Jay Feaster to rekindle talks with Edmonton’s rivals.
Even though the Kings are in the difficult position of being forced to trade one of their best wingers, Lombardi has insisted that any deal will have to work for both sides. Without the flexibility of a possibility of a possible Brule buyout, the Kings GM has stated the trade doesn’t make sense:
“To me, it was kind of simple, but it’s, OK, if something has to come back (to the Kings) to make this work, then there has to be certain things in place to allow me to run my (salary) cap. If they’re not in place, then this makes no sense. Because I have to replace this player. That’s the only urgency for me. I have to replace him. In order to replace him, whatever I’m taking back has to allow me full freedom to keep that (cap) space available. If that is not there, I can’t do this deal. And those conditions were not there. So there’s no deal.
“It makes no sense for me to lose this player and lose the flexibility. I need to replace him. That’s where it broke down. When it was clear that I couldn’t do what I needed to do with that player I’m taking back, then it’s not what the deal was based on, in any stretch of the imagination, and it certainly doesn’t make any sense for me.”
The Kings are to the point that they’ve all but guaranteed they’ll trade Smyth. Now we’re just waiting to find out where he’s going, when it’s going to happen, and who’s coming to southern California. Obviously there’s plenty more to this story and we’ll keep you updated as the soap opera continues to unfold.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)