Jun 24, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
During the “Drive to 13,” True North Sports and Entertainment implied that they would unveil Winnipeg’s new team name right after that sales drive was complete. That didn’t happen, of course, but there are rumblings that we’ll finally be able to fill in the blank sometime today.
The latest word from TSN is that True North plans to announce the new team name before making their first draft pick (the seventh selection in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft). Could the new team hand out jerseys with their new team logo during the draft itself? That much remains unclear, so we will just need to wait and see.
Want to let the hockey world know which team name would best fit this new Winnipeg club? Vote in this poll.
Update: If Elliotte Friedman of the CBC is correct, then the masses in Winnipeg will get what they wanted: to return of the Winnipeg Jets.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)