Jun 24, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
During the “Drive to 13,” True North Sports and Entertainment implied that they would unveil Winnipeg’s new team name right after that sales drive was complete. That didn’t happen, of course, but there are rumblings that we’ll finally be able to fill in the blank sometime today.
The latest word from TSN is that True North plans to announce the new team name before making their first draft pick (the seventh selection in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft). Could the new team hand out jerseys with their new team logo during the draft itself? That much remains unclear, so we will just need to wait and see.
Want to let the hockey world know which team name would best fit this new Winnipeg club? Vote in this poll.
Update: If Elliotte Friedman of the CBC is correct, then the masses in Winnipeg will get what they wanted: to return of the Winnipeg Jets.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)