Jun 24, 2011, 11:31 PM EST
The Florida Panthers were set to have a problem next season. With the salary floor set to go up over $48 million next season, the Panthers had to add some money to the roster in a big way. Either they would’ve been signing free agents to ridiculous deals or they would have to deal for other team’s salary cap problem children. Panthers GM Dale Tallon opted to go for latter and is doing so with a guy he knows from his days in Chicago.
Campbell has reportedly waived his no-trade clause to go to Florida in exchange for forward Rostislav Olesz. Campbell will bring his offensive abilities from the blue line with him to Florida along with his $7.142 million salary cap hit over the next five seasons as well. While the Panthers have six restricted free agents to re-sign, they’re sitting at just over $18 million committed to next year’s team leaving them around $30 million shy of the salary floor.
Making the deal a one for one trade is Olesz, who has three years left on his contract at $3.125 million per year against the cap. The $4 million boost to the Panthers payroll will help them out but Campbell will also help give the Panthers a more productive defense. With young guys like Dmitri Kulikov and Alexander Sulzer in Florida, the Panthers need a productive veteran back there to help out. Campbell fits the bill great.
Olesz gives Chicago a productive depth forward and a guy who can potentially add some offense to the team. In Florida, everyone struggled to score points, but Olesz was a guy who had the potential to be a point producer but could never quite break out. In his six years in Florida, Olesz has 57 goals and 75 assists. Yeah, offense was a problem with the Panthers. In Chicago, Olesz could break out with better teammates in a better system or he’ll become a hefty cap hit for an unproductive player.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2