Jun 24, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Sean Couturier is a big body center who has excellent vision and hands. He’s responsible in his own zone, can grind with the best of them, and is one of the best face-off guys in this year’s draft. If this were the pre-lockout NHL, scouts would be drooling all over him (more than they are) because of his combination of size and skill.
Before the season started, Couturier competing for the #1 overall spot in the draft; he was the only underager to make Team Canada’s World Junior Championship team as well. But concerns about his skating ability knocked him down a peg from the likes of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jonathan Huberdeau.
Comparisons for Couturier have ranged from Jason Allison to Joe Thornton. He’s a big player who just looks like he’d be a dominant force with his playmaking ability. Unfortunately, like Thornton he doesn’t always use his big body to his advantage. A truly talented player, he should be able to make it in the NHL—but if he can improve his skating, he’ll be able to thrive. It hasn’t been a problem so far.
Weight: 197 lbs
Team: Drummondville (QMJHL)
- 2008-09: 9 goals and 22 assists (31 points) in 58 games
- 2009-10: 41 goals and 55 assists (96 points) in 68 games
- 2010-11: 36 goals and 60 assists (96 points) in 58 games
|NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING||#6TH SKATER (NA)|
|INTERNATIONAL SCOUTING SERVICES||4TH OVERALL|
|THE HOCKEY NEWS||4TH OVERALL|
From NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards
“Sean has excellent puckhandling and playmaking ability; he sees the ice and reads the play very well . . . He’s extremely smart and gets himself into good scoring position. He plays a solid two-way game and is very responsible defensively.”
“He is an extremely smart and skilled playmaking center. He sees the ice well, knows where team mates are at all times; his passing is exceptional plus he is extremely dangerous in close. He creates offense and makes player better around him.”
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 40
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 15
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead