Jun 23, 2011, 11:45 AM EDT
It doesn’t come with the same pomp and circumstance that the All-Star Teams get during the middle of the season, but the NHL announces their top two All-Star Teams at the end of the NHL awards. These teams are decided by vote of the Professional Hockey Writers Association and how their regular seasons shook out. The teams break down just how you figured they might given how the awards went in Las Vegas. Spots on the team are broken down by position: One goalie, two defensemen, a left wing, a right wing, and a center.
2010-2011 NHL All-Star First Team
Goalie: Tim Thomas – Boston Bruins
No shocks here as the first team has the Vezina, Norris, and Hart Trophy winners as well as two of the three Hart Trophy finalists and another Norris Trophy finalist as well. The second team is similarly intimidating.
2010-2011 NHL All-Star Second Team
Goalie: Pekka Rinne – Nashville Predators
It’s fun to have a team where Alex Ovechkin, Martin St. Louis, and Steven Stamkos can be your second option. Getting Slovakian countrymen Chara and Visnovsky together on the blue line provides the contrast in styles with Chara being a punishing defender and Visnovsky a great offense generator. Rinne getting the nod over Luongo in goal is good for water cooler discussion, but given how the voting broke down in their race for the Vezina it’s not too surprising.
If nothing else, these teams are good for discussion purposes and to see where the media saw everyone ranked out. After all, having a second team that features the likes of Chara, Stamkos, and Ovechkin while the first team has Thomas, Lidstrom, and the Sedins it shows the league is a bit loaded up. Just think of all the stars that didn’t make the cut. Pretty impressive.
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 65
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (67)