Jun 23, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators might have some familiar faces from incumbent GM Bryan Murray to banged up captain Daniel Alfredsson, but those common elements cannot mask their overall changing makeup. Perhaps the biggest area of change is on the coaching staff. TSN reports that Dave Cameron and Mark Reeds have been added as assistants for new head coach Paul MacLean (pictured).
Neither Cameron nor Reeds sports a game-changing mustache like MacLean’s outstanding bit of facial hair, but Senators fans are probably more concerned with their resumes. Both have been successful at hockey’s lower levels, giving Ottawa three fresh new voices.
The Senators hope that they can get over the hump much like Cameron. He brought the Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors to the Memorial Cup finals only to see his team lose the Saint John’s Sea Dogs and was behind the bench for the Canadian World Junior team’s shocking third period meltdown to those heavy-drinking Russians in the gold medal game. Perhaps a star-crossed franchise like the Senators could succeed with a star-crossed assistant like Cameron?
Reeds was a more straightforward success: he spent the last four seasons as the head coach of the Owen Sound Attack, winning the 2011 OHL championship in the process. Here is a little more info about the Senators’ coaching staff from TSN.
Luke Richardson will remain in the organization as a part-time coach and Rick Wamsley will return for his second season as Senators goaltending coach.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)