Jun 23, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators might have some familiar faces from incumbent GM Bryan Murray to banged up captain Daniel Alfredsson, but those common elements cannot mask their overall changing makeup. Perhaps the biggest area of change is on the coaching staff. TSN reports that Dave Cameron and Mark Reeds have been added as assistants for new head coach Paul MacLean (pictured).
Neither Cameron nor Reeds sports a game-changing mustache like MacLean’s outstanding bit of facial hair, but Senators fans are probably more concerned with their resumes. Both have been successful at hockey’s lower levels, giving Ottawa three fresh new voices.
The Senators hope that they can get over the hump much like Cameron. He brought the Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors to the Memorial Cup finals only to see his team lose the Saint John’s Sea Dogs and was behind the bench for the Canadian World Junior team’s shocking third period meltdown to those heavy-drinking Russians in the gold medal game. Perhaps a star-crossed franchise like the Senators could succeed with a star-crossed assistant like Cameron?
Reeds was a more straightforward success: he spent the last four seasons as the head coach of the Owen Sound Attack, winning the 2011 OHL championship in the process. Here is a little more info about the Senators’ coaching staff from TSN.
Luke Richardson will remain in the organization as a part-time coach and Rick Wamsley will return for his second season as Senators goaltending coach.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)