Jun 23, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators might have some familiar faces from incumbent GM Bryan Murray to banged up captain Daniel Alfredsson, but those common elements cannot mask their overall changing makeup. Perhaps the biggest area of change is on the coaching staff. TSN reports that Dave Cameron and Mark Reeds have been added as assistants for new head coach Paul MacLean (pictured).
Neither Cameron nor Reeds sports a game-changing mustache like MacLean’s outstanding bit of facial hair, but Senators fans are probably more concerned with their resumes. Both have been successful at hockey’s lower levels, giving Ottawa three fresh new voices.
The Senators hope that they can get over the hump much like Cameron. He brought the Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors to the Memorial Cup finals only to see his team lose the Saint John’s Sea Dogs and was behind the bench for the Canadian World Junior team’s shocking third period meltdown to those heavy-drinking Russians in the gold medal game. Perhaps a star-crossed franchise like the Senators could succeed with a star-crossed assistant like Cameron?
Reeds was a more straightforward success: he spent the last four seasons as the head coach of the Owen Sound Attack, winning the 2011 OHL championship in the process. Here is a little more info about the Senators’ coaching staff from TSN.
Luke Richardson will remain in the organization as a part-time coach and Rick Wamsley will return for his second season as Senators goaltending coach.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)