Jun 23, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators might have some familiar faces from incumbent GM Bryan Murray to banged up captain Daniel Alfredsson, but those common elements cannot mask their overall changing makeup. Perhaps the biggest area of change is on the coaching staff. TSN reports that Dave Cameron and Mark Reeds have been added as assistants for new head coach Paul MacLean (pictured).
Neither Cameron nor Reeds sports a game-changing mustache like MacLean’s outstanding bit of facial hair, but Senators fans are probably more concerned with their resumes. Both have been successful at hockey’s lower levels, giving Ottawa three fresh new voices.
The Senators hope that they can get over the hump much like Cameron. He brought the Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors to the Memorial Cup finals only to see his team lose the Saint John’s Sea Dogs and was behind the bench for the Canadian World Junior team’s shocking third period meltdown to those heavy-drinking Russians in the gold medal game. Perhaps a star-crossed franchise like the Senators could succeed with a star-crossed assistant like Cameron?
Reeds was a more straightforward success: he spent the last four seasons as the head coach of the Owen Sound Attack, winning the 2011 OHL championship in the process. Here is a little more info about the Senators’ coaching staff from TSN.
Luke Richardson will remain in the organization as a part-time coach and Rick Wamsley will return for his second season as Senators goaltending coach.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)