Jun 23, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
The NHL All-Rookie Team makes for a special designation in that it gives you a nice overview of the young talent that made a splash in their first season in the league. This time around the All-Rookie Team is one that would make for one hell of a team on its own.
With the team being headlined by Calder Trophy winner Jeff Skinner, this year’s squad was teeming over with talent that included all three Calder finalists as well as a playoff stud goalie and a pair of big time defensemen who made the game their own. If these six players can keep things rolling along from the great starts they got this season, the NHL is in great shape for the future.
2010-2011 NHL All-Rookie Team
Goalie: Corey Crawford – Chicago Blackhawks
Couture, Skinner, and Grabner dominated in scoring this season with all three players breaking the 30-goal barrier. Skinner’s all around play made him this year’s Calder winner while Couture’s play helped the Sharks make the Western Conference finals and Grabner was a spark for an Islanders team that showed life and gave fans hope for the future late in the season.
Subban and Carlson played like cagey veterans on the blue line this season with Subban being an offensive threat and agitator to opposing teams while Carlson paired up with fellow youngster Karl Alzner to form the Capitals’ best defensive pairing. Crawford’s work in goal this season made veteran Marty Turco an afterthought and his play in the first round of the playoffs almost led the Blackhawks to a stunning comeback and upset of Vancouver.
This All-Rookie squad makes for a great look at what the future of the NHL has in store for us all. Here’s to hoping these players can all improve upon their first seasons and avoid the sophomore slump.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)