Jun 22, 2011, 4:13 PM EDT
The NHL offseason means a lot of things to a lot of people. For some of the teams it means unveiling a new look to the team and what they’re going to be wearing and looking like next season. We’ve heard about the Florida Panthers bringing back the color red to their look reaching back to their roots when they actually made the playoffs. The Tampa Bay Lightning are going with a more simplistic look and using blue as their primary color.
The Nashville Predators are now a part of the fun as they’ll be slightly altering their look and bringing back a color that went away when the NHL adopted the Reebok “Edge” style uniforms. That’s right, yellow is back and just as obvious as ever and they’re making themselves a bit more Nashville related as well.
At the NHL Awards in Las Vegas, the team revealed their new look which brings back the color yellow in a big way in the main sabre-toothed tiger logo as well as in a secondary logo that pays homage to Tennessee using an image from the state flag as well as taking the shape of a guitar pick. We’re betting that graphic designers will be enjoying the double symbolism as well as the fans in Nashville.
With the re-introduction of yellow into the mix, the rumor is that the team will be bringing back a yellow jersey. In case you’d blocked it from your memory, the Predators used to have a mustard yellow third jersey with a more cartoon-like predator on the front. The jersey was widely panned as one of the ugliest ones in NHL history and most of that ire was directed towards the color.
The Predators will be not bringing back a third jersey next season and their home and road jerseys will be brand new for next year. The prevailing rumors for the new jerseys say that yellow will be making a big comeback on the jerseys and hockey logo and uniform site Icethetics had some of the rumored details of what was next for the Preds next year.
The biggest rumor among those was that the home jerseys would be yellow and that the new ones will be debuted at the NHL Draft this weekend. With the Predators being without a first round pick this year, how they opt to break those out should be fascinating. If the Predators are looking for a blogger to help show off the new duds at the draft, we’d be happy to help out.
The trend of teams going back to what gave them their start is one that’s pretty amazing to see given that the color blue, light blue in particular, was becoming the go-to thing for teams in their third jersey designs (Florida, really?). Bringing things back to their roots is something some teams and franchises looking to get things off to a roaring start could learn from.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 18
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)