Jun 22, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
It’s not always the most beloved award, but for Tampa Bay’s Martin St. Louis it’s the one he’s taking home once again. St. Louis won the Lady Byng tonight for the second year in a row and this time he took out a savvy veteran and a newcomer to the discussion to do it, not to mention fellow All-Stars.
St. Louis beat out Nicklas Lidstrom and Loui Eriksson for the league’s most noble award. In a league where lawlessness and head shots sometimes dominate the discussion, St. Louis is the player holding up the banner that hockey can be both graceful and have manners to it. That’s not to say that both Eriksson and Lidstrom are more of the ruffian types, just that St. Louis has yet again been the best embodiment of what it is to carry yourself with dignity and honor on the ice. Perhaps St. Louis learned some of those skills while at the University of Vermont while teamed up with Tim Thomas in the 1990s.
St. Louis was the runaway selection by the voters taking home 70 first place votes and earning 994 points. Lidstrom was second with 22 first place votes and 464 points. Eriksson was third with nine first place votes and 347 points. Fans can sometimes look upon this award as something less-than cool but in such a violent game it’s worth the time and effort to appreciate those that best set the example for how the game can be beautifully played.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 66
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (66)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)