Jun 19, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Boston Bruins star forward Marc Savard was able to celebrate his team’s Stanley Cup victory, taking part in the parade and feeling the love from the fans in Boston. While Savard played in just 25 games with the team this year and the team is trying to to get his name on the Stanley Cup, Savard is still having problems with his health.
In late January, Savard was knocked out for the season after suffering a concussion from a hit by former Bruins defenseman Matt Hunwick. Even in spite of that happening nearly six months ago, Savard is still struggling with concussion symptoms.
CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty caught up with Savard at the Stanley Cup parade and found out just how he’s doing.
”I’m feeling better. I still have my days. The memory is the biggest thing for me and the mornings are kind of tough,” said Savard. “The memory stuff is really terrible and hopefully it gets better.”
That’s not a very encouraging sign for Savard that he’s still having memory issues. After Savard was initially knocked out of business last year against Pittsburgh thanks to Matt Cooke, Savard’s road to recovery has been a rough one.
While he came back during last year’s playoff loss to Philadelphia his comeback in the offseason was hampered by setbacks that delayed his return this past season. It’s unlikely that the Bruins will push Savard to hurry back and given his condition it’s impossible to think we’ll see him to start next season.
It’s a sad story but for those pushing for better care to be taken for those who have suffered concussions, Savard’s ordeal is one that will be held up as a reason why players and medical trainers should take extreme care of those dealing with concussions.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)