Jun 18, 2011, 4:39 AM EDT
With the 2011 Stanley Cup Final riots behind us, we’re seeing the fallout starting to filter through media outlets. We’ve seen plenty of pictures of good-willed Vancouverites taking back their city with messages of goodwill (to both business owners and law enforcement). We’ve learned the identity and story behind a soon-to-be iconic photograph of peace amongst violence. On the other end of the spectrum, law enforcement has found the
man child behind one of the most disheartening photographs to come out of the embarrassing event.
Plenty of pictures have made the rounds over the last few days. There’s the aforementioned picture of the couple kissing in the middle of the street between a mob and riot police. There’s the photo of the Vancouver skyline with separate fires billowing from the streets below. But nothing captured the sheer ignorance and stupidity of the rioters more than the kid in a Christian Ehrhoff shersey holding a hockey stick and celebrating after destroying the windows to a Bank of Montreal branch. It was exactly the type of individual that embarrassed Vancouver residents and disgusted outsiders tuning into the night’s festivities.
Thanks to the wonders of social media and peer pressure, the individual was arrested—in front of his classmates no less. Here’s the story as told by Deadspin:
“…and today the publicity caught up with this high school student who took part in smashing the windows at the Bank of Montreal branch at Homer and Georgia. We don’t have to name him, since it’s all over the internet. And scuttlebutt from classmates says he was arrested at school yesterday, on the last day of classes.”
It’s good to hear that the citizens of Vancouver are taking a hold of their city by identifying and reporting as many of these thugs as possible. Who says social media can’t be productive?
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)