Jun 18, 2011, 4:39 AM EDT
With the 2011 Stanley Cup Final riots behind us, we’re seeing the fallout starting to filter through media outlets. We’ve seen plenty of pictures of good-willed Vancouverites taking back their city with messages of goodwill (to both business owners and law enforcement). We’ve learned the identity and story behind a soon-to-be iconic photograph of peace amongst violence. On the other end of the spectrum, law enforcement has found the
man child behind one of the most disheartening photographs to come out of the embarrassing event.
Plenty of pictures have made the rounds over the last few days. There’s the aforementioned picture of the couple kissing in the middle of the street between a mob and riot police. There’s the photo of the Vancouver skyline with separate fires billowing from the streets below. But nothing captured the sheer ignorance and stupidity of the rioters more than the kid in a Christian Ehrhoff shersey holding a hockey stick and celebrating after destroying the windows to a Bank of Montreal branch. It was exactly the type of individual that embarrassed Vancouver residents and disgusted outsiders tuning into the night’s festivities.
Thanks to the wonders of social media and peer pressure, the individual was arrested—in front of his classmates no less. Here’s the story as told by Deadspin:
“…and today the publicity caught up with this high school student who took part in smashing the windows at the Bank of Montreal branch at Homer and Georgia. We don’t have to name him, since it’s all over the internet. And scuttlebutt from classmates says he was arrested at school yesterday, on the last day of classes.”
It’s good to hear that the citizens of Vancouver are taking a hold of their city by identifying and reporting as many of these thugs as possible. Who says social media can’t be productive?
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)