Jun 16, 2011, 1:09 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins made up for 39 years of up and down times all in one night thanks to a 4-0 win over Vancouver in Game 7 to win the Stanley Cup. With Tim Thomas leading the way winning the Conn Smythe Trophy and getting huge performances out of Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand in Game 7, it made it that much easier for captain Zdeno Chara to take the Stanley Cup from commissioner Gary Bettman.
With the euphoria running wild on the ice and through the streets of Boston as well, it’s a championship that Bruins fans will relish for a long time coming. Fortunately for us, we’ve got lots of video to share with you starting with the team breaking out on the ice and tossing off the equipment to celebrate.
Then it was time for Zdeno Chara to be presented the Stanley Cup and then hand it off to his teammates including 43 year-old Mark Recchi who announced his retirement immediately after the game.
Boston goalie Tim Thomas is presented with the Conn Smythe Trophy and then spoke with Pierre McGuire after the game to get his thoughts on his greatest achievement yet.
Bruins forward Mark Recchi speaks with Pierre McGuire on the ice after the game. Recchi announced his retirement on the ice after winning his third Stanley Cup.
Patrice Bergeron helped lead the way with two goals tonight and was a top player through the playoffs. He spoke after the game as well.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)