Vancouver Canucks fans riot after Game 7 loss; Mayor calls it ‘extremely disappointing’

Jun 16, 2011, 12:59 AM EDT

Stanley Cup Fans AP

Unfortunately, the parallels between today’s Vancouver Canucks and the 1994 edition extend beyond a Game 7 defeat all the way toward a violent reaction.

Vancouver authorities were optimistic that Canucks fans wouldn’t riot whether the team won or lost in Game 7 tonight, but it doesn’t look like they got their wish. While it’s unclear how severe the rioting was at this time, it seems like some Canucks fans reacted to their team’s 4-0 loss in a way that continues a sad pattern from 1994. Seventeen years later, they expressed their anger regarding tonight’s defeat by rioting.

The Associated Press captured a scene in which “parked cars were set on fire, others were tipped over and people threw beer bottles at giant television screens.” (You can view some “raw video” of the scene in this YouTube clip. CTV also has a dispiriting feed of the violence.)

Again, it’s unclear at this time how bad the damage was and how many people were injured. The New York Times archives reveals that 200 people were injured during the 1994 riots, but hopefully that situation was more severe than tonight’s ugly incidents. Hopefully no one was seriously hurt during this extremely negative reaction, but it’s a sad moment whenever such a thing happens.

We’ll keep an eye out for updates regarding these regrettable riot-like acts with the hope that we’ve already seen the worst. Perhaps some day fans can find a better way to release their (likely alcohol-fueled) emotions, whether their teams win or lose.

Update: Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson released this statement.

“It is extremely disappointing to see the situation in downtown Vancouver turn violent after tonight’s Stanley Cup game. Vancouver is a world-class city and it is embarrassing and shameful to see the type of violence and disorder we’ve seen tonight.

The vast majority of people who were in the downtown tonight were there to enjoy the game in a peaceful and respectful manner. It is unfortunate that a small number of people intent on criminal activity have turned pockets of the downtown into areas involving destruction of property and confrontations with police.

The Vancouver Police and Vancouver Fire Department are doing an exceptional job under challenging circumstances to maintain control of the situation and keep people safe, and emergency crews are working tirelessly to assist those who were injured.

The priority is public safety and ensuring that people can leave the downtown area to make their way home without further incident. Transit is operating at full capacity.

I urge the public to remain calm and to stay away from central downtown in order to assist police in restoring safety to our streets.”

1. canucks18 - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Those people involved in the rioting ARE NOT fans, instead they are a complete embarrassment to themselves and the City.

2. crmgoodness - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Stay classy Vancouver

3. whatagreatfootballmind - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:25 AM

classless canadians. fits vancouver cheap dirty residents and cheap dirty players.

• davidly - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Yeah. Reminds me of Americans and Boston’s residents, even after they won the NBA championship in 2008. Or the yuppies on Rush Street in Chicago in ’91.

• cerowb - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:48 AM

FootballMind, and I don’t say this lightly…you are an idiot

4. canucks18 - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Footballmind… You should have a little respect. This is a group of young idiots who have zero reflection on Vancouver fans or the city.

5. polegojim - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Very true – these are reckless idiots looking for trouble no matter what the results

The hard deal is Luongo and the Twins living down the melt down, the ‘Soft’ and ‘Cave’ descriptions

6. xxakshunxx - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:17 AM

if this was the first time it happend THEN you can say these are young idiots acting out, but seeing as most of these people were to young to even remember the 94 riots i would say this def reflects on the city and the type of scum that lives their..

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jun 16, 2011 at 3:06 AM

I was just watching coverage of the riot and apparently “fans” were talking to reporters about how they were hoping for another 94 before the game even started. The ironic thing is that most of the people I saw on TV were 2 or 3 years old when 94 happened!

Glad you lost, disappointed your “fans” destroyed your city!

• sanjosecupcrazy - Jun 16, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Dude, your screen name is CLASSIC. Love that!

• govtminion - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Agreed, great screen name! And a very good point made, as well, that hadn’t occurred to me. Looks like folks just wanted to riot, and this was a flimsy excuse for it.

7. sanjosecupcrazy - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:36 AM

After seeing the way Vancouver fans acted in our building for two games a month back, this doesn’t surprise me one bit. Their fans were as classless and obnoxious of a group as I’d seen in 15 years at the Tank and bordered the Raider fans for the biggest rejects to ever attend a sporting event.

The fact that you people are up there destroying your own city now is par for the course. Used to have a lot of respect for everything about the Canucks — between the flopping Sedins, Kessler’s antics, Rome’s hit, your coach’s crying and the classless actions of your fans, I think I speak for most of the Sharks fans in saying we have little respect left for your franchise and enjoyed watching your fans waste good money to have their hearts broken tonight. KARMA’S A BITCH. ;-)

• schiver - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I think you speak for most hockey fans in saying that we have little respect for the Canucks franchise. I came into this series cheering for Vancouver since the Bruins ousted my Flyers, but my game 3 I was cheering for the B’s. They deserved. What a classy bunch of guys.

• zeus1973 - Jun 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Well, i am Portuguese and a huge Sharks fan but, my second favorite team was the Canucks…
      Was until this year.
      First i didn’t enjoy at all that the Sharks were defeated by the Canucks, specially because i was very confident that this year the Stanley Cup was going to San Jose.
      Then, in the final i was first cheering for the Canucks but at some point i started to cheer for Boston because i saw that they were more humble than the Canucks and were there to play and try to win the cup, with dignity, commitment and no excuses when they lost, they just wanted to play and win.
      I ended cheering the Bruins and i am happy for them, they deserved the cup.
      Sincerly i hope next year the Sharks can make me happy also… ;-)

8. crusty14 - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Sang, I applaud you … Very well said

9. adamwakely - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:30 AM

You people just love to hate Vancouver and their fans.
    As I love this city and people and I sit at home with my family, 2 young kids watching the game we still applaud Boston for playing well and Vancouver for their effort.
    I was sad when I saw the riots, again….it only takes a few people (who bring stuff a head of time to get these things going. Then the drunk you teens all stand around just to be apart of it. It can happen anywhere. Do you think most of the 100, 000 people early all hung out? No. What about the rest of us across Canada who are all at home?

So to you Sanjosecupcrazy…what is your crime like compared to Vancouver anyway?
    Does that make you all bad? No.

It is sad that so many will lump a group of riot bashers with thousands of people.

Shame on you… shame on you all.

Karma Bitch? Should I tell my son that now?
    Hey my 2 year old daughter and 8 year old son and my wife…it’s Karma so fuck all you!!! Fuck you alll cause we are all bad Canuck fans….Maybe we should just kill our self so Sanjosecupcrazy and people like him will be happy….
    We have no class…ya…all of us…most of us right?
    I might as well go tell my 70 year old mom & dad to fuck themselves…it’s Karma Bitch!

It’s so sad to have hateful people like you in this world.

I don’t hate you for it…sarcasim to make a point…

peace….

• sanjosecupcrazy - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:56 AM

Hey Adam, don’t put this on us. Teams and fan bases end up being hated for a reason. I used to like and respect the Canucks. Up until the start of the playoffs this year, they were one of my secondary favorite teams. Also remember that you have two former Sharks — Manny Malhotra and Christian Erhoff — who I still like and respect.

And if it was only the shananigans with your players from that point on, I’d probaby still have rooted for you in the final….

But I’ve never, ever witnessed the display your fans put on in our building in 15 years of being a Sharks season ticket holder. We’ve had big opposing crowds come in before — Detroit, the LA teams, Rangers, the Canadian teams — but they’re always cool. In those 15 years, I’d seen two fights. That’s it. Our fans are classy, good people.

In the two games from our series with you guys, I saw five fights, got challenged to one for no reason by a drunk father who had brought three boys eight years of age, and saw your fans acting as obnoxious as the Raider idiots out here, which is really reaching an elite level. My friend, visiting from Chicago and not a fan of either team, went to the two games with me, and has since been rooting against you guys as well. To say that Canucks fans were classless would be an insult to classless people.

So yeah, karma IS a bitch and I DID enjoy watching your team lose. Don’t want that sentiment? Tell your fans to grow up and stop acting like they’ve won 5 cups in a row when all you guys do is choke your way out of the playoffs each year.

As for San Jose, you’ve obviously never been here. We’re not Los Angeles, my friend. This is an amazing place to live…. and we’re the 7th safest city to live in in the United States, so I’m not sure where that came from… Although you Vancouverites probably pull rank on everyone for that too, right?

Don’t be so sensitive, eh hoser? It’s just sports talk. ;-D

• tommytd - Jun 16, 2011 at 6:29 AM

Take a chill pill, you sound like an idiot.

• tommytd - Jun 16, 2011 at 6:30 AM

You sound like a moron.

10. govtminion - Jun 16, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Sad to see, but remember: Vancouver is hardly alone in pointless sports rioting. Los Angeles, Montreal, Denver- nothing new here. Some people use a sports championship, win or lose, as an excuse to act like animals. I’d bet many of them couldn’t have cared less who won the game as long as they get to smash things.

Hopefully injuries were few and cleanup isn’t as bad as it looked last night. It would be nice if some of the more flagrant hooligans got caught on security cameras for the police to identify too.

11. kirkkwilliams - Jun 16, 2011 at 8:58 AM

As a life-ling Flyers fan, I have taken about as much criticism about our “classless” fans as any supporter of any major sports team. I’ll certainly admit we’ve got our share of boneheads (as does any major city), but seeing the behavior of Vancouver this year (as well as ’94) just makes me wonder how BC avoids getting such a bad reputation as we have.

Adam, I watched the cup slip away in our home building just a year ago. Like you , I was home with my kids and like you, I was devastated. Unlike you, I watched with pride as over 20,000 “classless” Philadelphians stood and applauded our team’s effort and respected Chicago’s victory. Last night, your fans’ lack of respect was blatant before the cup even came out of the tunnel.

• govtminion - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM

I admit, I’d hoped the booing was because of Bettman being out there (something any NHL fan, no matter their allegiance, can at least smile at). But yeah, booing every time a new player (Lucic aside) picked up the Cup was pretty classless- and I wish it had just been a few rowdy fans, but when you can hear it that clearly on the broadcast… that’s a lot of people doing it, not just a handful. Very sad to see- though it pales in comparison, of course, to what happened OUTSIDE the building.

• kirkkwilliams - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:30 AM

OK, forgive me for getting off the point, but was it not hysterical to see Gary the twirp side-by-side with Chara?

For a second it looked like Zdeno adopted a new puppy or something.

• govtminion - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Oh totally! Ever see the movie ‘Twins’ with Ah-nuld and Danny DeVito? It reminded me of the cover of the DVD, looking at the two of them there. Hilarious!

• schiver - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Booing Tim Thomas when he got the Conn Smythe was probably the worst instance of this. It looked like all the fans stayed specifically to boo. It was (or should have been) embarrassing for Vancouver fans everywhere.

12. savoirlaire - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Yeah, I’ll agree with a lot of what is being said here…between Burrows and Rome’s actions, between Vigneault’s whining, between the diving (Hansen’s last night was classic), between the booing of the cup and now the rioting, Vancouver–both the team and the fans–ain’t looking too good right now. What is perhaps most disturbing is not just the fact of the meatheads rioting, but the city’s inability once again to control what is going on.

Maybe they should cut Rome loose on the rioters, eh?!?

• hystoracle - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM

If Vigneault had spent as much time coaching as he did whining about the officiating his team might have figured out how to score some goals.

13. hardrocker64 - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM

You don’t see this type of junk here in Raleigh, NC. win or lose…….a loss in the 2002 final and a cup victory in 2006 and it was all good!

14. mgp1219 - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Vancouver = Montreal West.

15. manhorse69 - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM

This kind of thing seems to happen win or lose. There was probably more venom because of the loss but from the perspective of the hooligans the burning of a car and knocking over toilets can be celebratory or to ease your pain. I, apparently, have never been as happy or sad as these Vancouverites since my idea of celebrating or commiserating usually involves friends and family. But whatever. Crowd in the Rogers Centre didn’t come off to well on TV. Shouldn’t be surprising since the level of decorum in our society has ben sliding downhill for some time. That type of behavior gets you rememberd for all the wrong reasons as opposed to showing some respect and dignity which people might not remember. Can’t help but recall the class of Detroit, yes Detroit, fans when the Penguins won on their ice. Cheered not only their team but also the penguins and. It’s too bad that more places can’t do this

• schiver - Jun 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM

As a Flyers fan, I can say for sure that this didn’t happen last year when they lost in the finals. And the Flyers haven’t won a cup since the 70s so there was a lot riding on that series. I thought for sure there would be more animosity being that it’s Philly and our fans can be a little bone-headed at times, but this takes the cake.

16. hystoracle - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM

AARRGGGHH!!! The Canucks lost. Damn it, someone owes me a TV!! And all these small cars are going to feel my wrath!!! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

17. bruinsfan02895 - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Most of New England has ancestory from Canada. I am proud French Canadian and American and the bruins represent our ancestory well… Good series but Boston came on too strong. Maybe next year but the bruins core is still young so maybe a repeat….

• hystoracle - Jun 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Never know about the injury bug… A couple injuries to the wrong guys (Chara, Thomas ?) and it would make it a lot tougher. As much as the Sedins did a disappearing act for Vancouver – thier Defense was decimated by injuries (and the self-inflicted suspension). It’s hard to win at that point in the season playing your 4th Dman with #1 minutes. Biggest problem Vancouver has is they are stuck with Ballard. Might need to hide that one down in the minors for a while.

18. dkhhuey - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I can’t believe how classless the Canucks fans were at the end of the game. I was astounded at the post game presentation ceremony when they did nothing but boo everything and everybody. Nicely done – no matter how hard the people of this city try to recover from this – they will always be known for their poor sportsmanship, being a bunch of sore losers, and nothing more than a group of drunken hockey hooligans. I can check Vancouver off my list of cities to visit.

19. zeus1973 - Jun 16, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I am Portuguese and i am very surprised with this riots. I didnt even know about the riots of 94 and i am very surprised because i thought that in Canada things were more peaceful and also that hockey fans were also peaceful, well i was wrong!…
    This is worst than hooligans in soccer, this is terrible.
    But i think that the police wasnt at a good level. In Portugal i am sure that the riot would have finished in its beginning.
    I remember only one riot when whe hosted the European Soccer Championship, a riot with english hooligans and i will never forget seeing our Republican Guard (one of our two police forces) beating the crap out of the hooligans.
    I will never forget seeing the Guards that were in service, all equiped and seeing dozens of other Guards wearing shorts and slippers (they were surrely at the beach) and also wielding there batons and helping there colleagues to beat the crap out of the hooligans and contain the riot.
    Well, the intervention of our National Republican Guard was fast, powerful, intimidating, effective and quickly ended the riot.
    Thats why Portuguese police forces are feared by hooligans all around because they all know that here they have to behave our things can get very nasty for them.
    If Vancouver police had a faster and firm repply to the events i am sure that the riots would have been less significant.

20. iaintafrate - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Luongo shares the blame with the entire Canucks organization and the city of Vancouver. This series showed what a gutless bunch of losers the Caunucks are, from their goalie, the players, coach, GM, owner, on down to the media and fans. There is zero accountability or leadership, just a bunch of sad little cowards pointing the finger instead of looking in the mirror. The coach and GM whine about the refs, the league, etc. The players run around taking cheap shots left and right, but when the B’s hit them back they turtle up cower in shame. Their goalie is more worried about what Tim Thomas is saying about him in the press than winning a Stanley Cup. Insecure little half-wits, every time they were challenged, they folded. Complete frauds. The captain gets punked by a 23 year old rookie and absolutely quits. The owner is as classless as the cowrds he employs, berating females after the game. And the front-running fans disgracing the city like petulant little kids.This team has no balls, no toughness, no class, no leadership, no resilience, and no chance in hell of winning a Stanley Cup with this group of gutless, front-running, punks. Cue the Duckboats.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches