Jun 15, 2011, 6:41 PM EDT
There are plenty of great storylines going into Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, but many people love to rally around a last gasp plot. For that reason, expect numerous casual fans to root for 43-year-old Boston Bruins forward Mark Recchi to go out a champion.
The original thought was that he would do just that if the Bruins raised the Stanley Cup, but it sounds like he might hang up his skates either way. That’s the word from “sources close to Recchi” according to ESPN Boston’s James Murphy. While it’s not something that officially came from the old horse’s mouth, it seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion for a guy who has seen and done just about everything in a 22-year career.
By the end of tonight, we’ll know if he ends up winning or losing what might be the last game of his NHL career. We’ll need to wait a little longer to see if he gains a final victory of a Hall of Fame induction, but you can feel free to debate the merits of that idea in this poll.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)