Jun 15, 2011, 6:41 PM EDT
There are plenty of great storylines going into Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, but many people love to rally around a last gasp plot. For that reason, expect numerous casual fans to root for 43-year-old Boston Bruins forward Mark Recchi to go out a champion.
The original thought was that he would do just that if the Bruins raised the Stanley Cup, but it sounds like he might hang up his skates either way. That’s the word from “sources close to Recchi” according to ESPN Boston’s James Murphy. While it’s not something that officially came from the old horse’s mouth, it seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion for a guy who has seen and done just about everything in a 22-year career.
By the end of tonight, we’ll know if he ends up winning or losing what might be the last game of his NHL career. We’ll need to wait a little longer to see if he gains a final victory of a Hall of Fame induction, but you can feel free to debate the merits of that idea in this poll.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 19
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 44
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)