Jun 15, 2011, 6:41 PM EST
There are plenty of great storylines going into Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, but many people love to rally around a last gasp plot. For that reason, expect numerous casual fans to root for 43-year-old Boston Bruins forward Mark Recchi to go out a champion.
The original thought was that he would do just that if the Bruins raised the Stanley Cup, but it sounds like he might hang up his skates either way. That’s the word from “sources close to Recchi” according to ESPN Boston’s James Murphy. While it’s not something that officially came from the old horse’s mouth, it seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion for a guy who has seen and done just about everything in a 22-year career.
By the end of tonight, we’ll know if he ends up winning or losing what might be the last game of his NHL career. We’ll need to wait a little longer to see if he gains a final victory of a Hall of Fame induction, but you can feel free to debate the merits of that idea in this poll.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)