Jun 15, 2011, 6:41 PM EST
There are plenty of great storylines going into Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, but many people love to rally around a last gasp plot. For that reason, expect numerous casual fans to root for 43-year-old Boston Bruins forward Mark Recchi to go out a champion.
The original thought was that he would do just that if the Bruins raised the Stanley Cup, but it sounds like he might hang up his skates either way. That’s the word from “sources close to Recchi” according to ESPN Boston’s James Murphy. While it’s not something that officially came from the old horse’s mouth, it seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion for a guy who has seen and done just about everything in a 22-year career.
By the end of tonight, we’ll know if he ends up winning or losing what might be the last game of his NHL career. We’ll need to wait a little longer to see if he gains a final victory of a Hall of Fame induction, but you can feel free to debate the merits of that idea in this poll.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)