Jun 13, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
While the Stanley Cup will enter the building (but might not be raised) in Boston’s TD Banknorth Garden tonight, other teams wonder how far they are from being so close next year. The latest duo of small-time moves probably won’t make or break these teams’ chances, but every little step can count if they’re made in the right direction.
- The St. Louis Blues re-signed forward Chris Porter to a one-year, two-way contract extension today. Jeremy Rutherford reports that the deal will be worth $600K at the NHL level and $105K when/if Porter spends time at the AHL level with the Peoria Rivermen.
Porter played 45 games at the NHL level during the 2010-11 season, amassing three goals and four assists for seven points with an average of 10:23 minutes of ice time per game.
- The Phoenix Coyotes added Jim Playfair to their coaching staff as an associate coach.
Playfair spent 11 seasons with the Calgary Flames organization, including one as the team’s head coach in 2006-07. Of course, it’s almost impossible to discuss Playfair without going back to his profound moment of rage at the AHL level last season. While it’s most likely that the Coyotes added him simply for his extensive experience, one must wonder if they want to counter the relatively even keeled nature of Dave Tippett with a coach who can clearly fly off the handle when provoked.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)