Jun 13, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
While the Stanley Cup will enter the building (but might not be raised) in Boston’s TD Banknorth Garden tonight, other teams wonder how far they are from being so close next year. The latest duo of small-time moves probably won’t make or break these teams’ chances, but every little step can count if they’re made in the right direction.
- The St. Louis Blues re-signed forward Chris Porter to a one-year, two-way contract extension today. Jeremy Rutherford reports that the deal will be worth $600K at the NHL level and $105K when/if Porter spends time at the AHL level with the Peoria Rivermen.
Porter played 45 games at the NHL level during the 2010-11 season, amassing three goals and four assists for seven points with an average of 10:23 minutes of ice time per game.
- The Phoenix Coyotes added Jim Playfair to their coaching staff as an associate coach.
Playfair spent 11 seasons with the Calgary Flames organization, including one as the team’s head coach in 2006-07. Of course, it’s almost impossible to discuss Playfair without going back to his profound moment of rage at the AHL level last season. While it’s most likely that the Coyotes added him simply for his extensive experience, one must wonder if they want to counter the relatively even keeled nature of Dave Tippett with a coach who can clearly fly off the handle when provoked.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)