Jun 13, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
While the Stanley Cup will enter the building (but might not be raised) in Boston’s TD Banknorth Garden tonight, other teams wonder how far they are from being so close next year. The latest duo of small-time moves probably won’t make or break these teams’ chances, but every little step can count if they’re made in the right direction.
- The St. Louis Blues re-signed forward Chris Porter to a one-year, two-way contract extension today. Jeremy Rutherford reports that the deal will be worth $600K at the NHL level and $105K when/if Porter spends time at the AHL level with the Peoria Rivermen.
Porter played 45 games at the NHL level during the 2010-11 season, amassing three goals and four assists for seven points with an average of 10:23 minutes of ice time per game.
- The Phoenix Coyotes added Jim Playfair to their coaching staff as an associate coach.
Playfair spent 11 seasons with the Calgary Flames organization, including one as the team’s head coach in 2006-07. Of course, it’s almost impossible to discuss Playfair without going back to his profound moment of rage at the AHL level last season. While it’s most likely that the Coyotes added him simply for his extensive experience, one must wonder if they want to counter the relatively even keeled nature of Dave Tippett with a coach who can clearly fly off the handle when provoked.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)