Jun 12, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
New Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is reportedly interviewing other candidates for the team’s head coaching job, but in an odd twist, he will also give lame duck coach Craig Ramsay an interview. That’s the report from TSN’s sources, at least, which leaves Ramsay in a rather strange place.
Perhaps Ramsay might be willing to take an assistant coaching job rather than being fired? It’s hard to tell, but either way, it seems like a slightly awkward situation. Of course, it’s perfectly plausible that Ramsay could remain the head coach, but it would be a strange way to do it.
Either way, Ramsay would work in a very different environment if he remains with the team in some capacity … and not just because of a huge change in geography. The team already parted ways with former GM Rick Dudley, their scouting director Dan Marr and several staff members since the official relocation announcement was made on May 31, so he won’t see many familiar faces if he remains with the franchise.
It should be interesting to see how the new Winnipeg team will look next season, even if we’re being forced to wait to find out if the team will be the Winnipeg Jets or something else. We’ll keep you informed as that process continues over the summer.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)