Jun 12, 2011, 11:11 PM EST
New Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is reportedly interviewing other candidates for the team’s head coaching job, but in an odd twist, he will also give lame duck coach Craig Ramsay an interview. That’s the report from TSN’s sources, at least, which leaves Ramsay in a rather strange place.
Perhaps Ramsay might be willing to take an assistant coaching job rather than being fired? It’s hard to tell, but either way, it seems like a slightly awkward situation. Of course, it’s perfectly plausible that Ramsay could remain the head coach, but it would be a strange way to do it.
Either way, Ramsay would work in a very different environment if he remains with the team in some capacity … and not just because of a huge change in geography. The team already parted ways with former GM Rick Dudley, their scouting director Dan Marr and several staff members since the official relocation announcement was made on May 31, so he won’t see many familiar faces if he remains with the franchise.
It should be interesting to see how the new Winnipeg team will look next season, even if we’re being forced to wait to find out if the team will be the Winnipeg Jets or something else. We’ll keep you informed as that process continues over the summer.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 53
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12