Jun 12, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
New Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is reportedly interviewing other candidates for the team’s head coaching job, but in an odd twist, he will also give lame duck coach Craig Ramsay an interview. That’s the report from TSN’s sources, at least, which leaves Ramsay in a rather strange place.
Perhaps Ramsay might be willing to take an assistant coaching job rather than being fired? It’s hard to tell, but either way, it seems like a slightly awkward situation. Of course, it’s perfectly plausible that Ramsay could remain the head coach, but it would be a strange way to do it.
Either way, Ramsay would work in a very different environment if he remains with the team in some capacity … and not just because of a huge change in geography. The team already parted ways with former GM Rick Dudley, their scouting director Dan Marr and several staff members since the official relocation announcement was made on May 31, so he won’t see many familiar faces if he remains with the franchise.
It should be interesting to see how the new Winnipeg team will look next season, even if we’re being forced to wait to find out if the team will be the Winnipeg Jets or something else. We’ll keep you informed as that process continues over the summer.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 16
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5