Jun 12, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
If you were to conduct an informal study of all the players who were suspended for questionable hits, it might be safe to say that 99 percent of them were left incredulous by the league’s decisions. In some cases, they have a point regarding the NHL’s seemingly random policies toward discipline. Yet it seems like they come across as insensitive and selfish just as often.
In his first round of comments about the incident, Rome said he “wouldn’t change much” about the check he delivered. Rome called the league’s suspension criteria “arbitrary” and complained about getting punished for a hit that was “barely illegal.” He also said that he sent an unanswered text to Horton, but understood why the Bruins forward elected not to respond.
While both teams are rough-and-tumble bunches, it seems like the Canucks are losing favor with a lot of casual fans because of their antics. Whether it’s Roberto Luongo’s comments about Tim Thomas, extensive accusations of diving or Rome’s not-so-shocking criticisms of the official decision, the Canucks continue to come up as the villains in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.
Of course, with one more win, the “bad guys” could take it all.
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)