Jun 12, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
If you were to conduct an informal study of all the players who were suspended for questionable hits, it might be safe to say that 99 percent of them were left incredulous by the league’s decisions. In some cases, they have a point regarding the NHL’s seemingly random policies toward discipline. Yet it seems like they come across as insensitive and selfish just as often.
In his first round of comments about the incident, Rome said he “wouldn’t change much” about the check he delivered. Rome called the league’s suspension criteria “arbitrary” and complained about getting punished for a hit that was “barely illegal.” He also said that he sent an unanswered text to Horton, but understood why the Bruins forward elected not to respond.
While both teams are rough-and-tumble bunches, it seems like the Canucks are losing favor with a lot of casual fans because of their antics. Whether it’s Roberto Luongo’s comments about Tim Thomas, extensive accusations of diving or Rome’s not-so-shocking criticisms of the official decision, the Canucks continue to come up as the villains in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.
Of course, with one more win, the “bad guys” could take it all.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 22
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 32
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)