Jun 12, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
If you were to conduct an informal study of all the players who were suspended for questionable hits, it might be safe to say that 99 percent of them were left incredulous by the league’s decisions. In some cases, they have a point regarding the NHL’s seemingly random policies toward discipline. Yet it seems like they come across as insensitive and selfish just as often.
In his first round of comments about the incident, Rome said he “wouldn’t change much” about the check he delivered. Rome called the league’s suspension criteria “arbitrary” and complained about getting punished for a hit that was “barely illegal.” He also said that he sent an unanswered text to Horton, but understood why the Bruins forward elected not to respond.
While both teams are rough-and-tumble bunches, it seems like the Canucks are losing favor with a lot of casual fans because of their antics. Whether it’s Roberto Luongo’s comments about Tim Thomas, extensive accusations of diving or Rome’s not-so-shocking criticisms of the official decision, the Canucks continue to come up as the villains in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.
Of course, with one more win, the “bad guys” could take it all.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 25
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)