Jun 12, 2011, 3:41 PM EST
If you were to conduct an informal study of all the players who were suspended for questionable hits, it might be safe to say that 99 percent of them were left incredulous by the league’s decisions. In some cases, they have a point regarding the NHL’s seemingly random policies toward discipline. Yet it seems like they come across as insensitive and selfish just as often.
In his first round of comments about the incident, Rome said he “wouldn’t change much” about the check he delivered. Rome called the league’s suspension criteria “arbitrary” and complained about getting punished for a hit that was “barely illegal.” He also said that he sent an unanswered text to Horton, but understood why the Bruins forward elected not to respond.
While both teams are rough-and-tumble bunches, it seems like the Canucks are losing favor with a lot of casual fans because of their antics. Whether it’s Roberto Luongo’s comments about Tim Thomas, extensive accusations of diving or Rome’s not-so-shocking criticisms of the official decision, the Canucks continue to come up as the villains in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.
Of course, with one more win, the “bad guys” could take it all.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 0
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 54
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)