Jun 10, 2011, 10:11 PM EDT
Through two periods of Game 5 the game remains scoreless but things got a bit better for Vancouver. The Canucks continued to pressure the Bruins and this time around they got the edge in shots that period outshooting them 12-9. Boston holds the two period shot advantage 21-18 though.
One difference in the second period is that we finally saw the Canucks power play hit the ice as they had two man-advantage opportunities against Boston but came up empty two more times.
The game’s best opportunity for a goal came courtesy of the Canucks fourth line when a puck came right to Tanner Glass at the far post and with Tim Thomas out of position Glass fanned on the shot as Vancouver couldn’t muster a solid opportunity on the play. With how this game is playing out, one goal could be the one that changes the whole thing.
Vancouver will have to keep up the pace in the third and keep generating opportunities. They’ll need to play a little smoother in their own end though as the Bruins played great when they were able to gain and sustain pressure in their zone. Boston is again getting great play out of Tim Thomas as the Canucks have scored just one goal in their last eight periods of play. One thing is for sure though, this has been the best game of the series, now let’s hope the third period gives us the kind of finish fitting for how it’s played out.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)