Jun 10, 2011, 10:11 PM EST
Through two periods of Game 5 the game remains scoreless but things got a bit better for Vancouver. The Canucks continued to pressure the Bruins and this time around they got the edge in shots that period outshooting them 12-9. Boston holds the two period shot advantage 21-18 though.
One difference in the second period is that we finally saw the Canucks power play hit the ice as they had two man-advantage opportunities against Boston but came up empty two more times.
The game’s best opportunity for a goal came courtesy of the Canucks fourth line when a puck came right to Tanner Glass at the far post and with Tim Thomas out of position Glass fanned on the shot as Vancouver couldn’t muster a solid opportunity on the play. With how this game is playing out, one goal could be the one that changes the whole thing.
Vancouver will have to keep up the pace in the third and keep generating opportunities. They’ll need to play a little smoother in their own end though as the Bruins played great when they were able to gain and sustain pressure in their zone. Boston is again getting great play out of Tim Thomas as the Canucks have scored just one goal in their last eight periods of play. One thing is for sure though, this has been the best game of the series, now let’s hope the third period gives us the kind of finish fitting for how it’s played out.
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 44
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31