Jun 10, 2011, 10:11 PM EDT
Through two periods of Game 5 the game remains scoreless but things got a bit better for Vancouver. The Canucks continued to pressure the Bruins and this time around they got the edge in shots that period outshooting them 12-9. Boston holds the two period shot advantage 21-18 though.
One difference in the second period is that we finally saw the Canucks power play hit the ice as they had two man-advantage opportunities against Boston but came up empty two more times.
The game’s best opportunity for a goal came courtesy of the Canucks fourth line when a puck came right to Tanner Glass at the far post and with Tim Thomas out of position Glass fanned on the shot as Vancouver couldn’t muster a solid opportunity on the play. With how this game is playing out, one goal could be the one that changes the whole thing.
Vancouver will have to keep up the pace in the third and keep generating opportunities. They’ll need to play a little smoother in their own end though as the Bruins played great when they were able to gain and sustain pressure in their zone. Boston is again getting great play out of Tim Thomas as the Canucks have scored just one goal in their last eight periods of play. One thing is for sure though, this has been the best game of the series, now let’s hope the third period gives us the kind of finish fitting for how it’s played out.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)