Jun 10, 2011, 9:11 PM EDT
The Canucks were looking to get a change of pace going in Game 5 and so far they’ve got that even in spite of there being no score after one period of play. Vancouver has come out and started throwing the body around in a big way outhitting the Bruins 23-13 after one period. Vancouver has picked up their aggression and they’re playing better hockey in many ways that they didn’t during Games 3 and 4 in Boston.
One way they’re not doing so well is in the discipline department. The Canucks gave up three power plays to the Bruins and while they’ve stopped all three of them, they’re keeping Roberto Luongo awfully busy outshooting the Canucks 12-6 after one period. After all the criticism that’s been heaped upon Luongo after his miserable play in Boston, he’s looked especially sharp so far in this one.
We’ve also had some of the dramatic as Maxim Lapierre was trying to ham up a stick jab from Zdeno Chara to draw a call, something that drew the attention of Dennis Seidenberg. During a late face off, Alex Burrows was attempting to jockey for position with Milan Lucic, stepping over Lucic’s stick in the process. Lucic then tried to move his stick out of the way tripping up Burrows in the process putting him on the ice. Both players were put in the box, Burrows being called for diving. For all the good we’ve seen in the first period, we’ve got a healthy amount of nonsense. Here’s to hoping the latter gets cut out entirely in the second.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)