Jun 9, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
We saw a handful of other guys get re-signed today when James Reimer was re-upped in Toronto for three years and Brett Carson re-signed for two years in Calgary a few other players also decided to stick with their teams today.
Montreal held on to impending restricted free agent Andrei Kostitsyn. Kostitsyn gets a one-year deal worth $3.25 million. The 26 year-old Belorussian had 20 goals and 25 assists last season for the Canadiens giving him his best season since 2007-2008 when he scored 26 goals and had 27 assists. Kostitsyn has emerged as one of the Habs better offensive skill forwards last season and showed maturity that he’s lacked throughout his career in Montreal. Kostitsyn will be an unrestricted free agent after next season.
Pittsburgh re-signed Craig Adams to a two-year deal worth $1.375 million to continue working as the Penguins checking forward. With Adams signing on for two years it’s leading to speculation that free agent-to-be Maxime Talbot could be on his way out of town. It’s an affordable deal for Pittsburgh and Adams has done very well in his role with the Penguins. Adams’ cap hit will be for $675,000 over the next two years.
In St. Louis, young defenseman and front-runner for best name in the NHL Nikita Nikitin re-signed with the Blues on a one-year deal. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the deal is worth $600,000. Nikitin made his NHL debut this season and at 24 years-old he’ll have more time to develop. He played in 41 games this year for St. Louis scoring one goal and adding eight assists. He’ll be competing for a starting job in St. Louis next season and is part of a young corps of players the Blues have slowly moving up in their system.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)