Jun 9, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
We saw a handful of other guys get re-signed today when James Reimer was re-upped in Toronto for three years and Brett Carson re-signed for two years in Calgary a few other players also decided to stick with their teams today.
Montreal held on to impending restricted free agent Andrei Kostitsyn. Kostitsyn gets a one-year deal worth $3.25 million. The 26 year-old Belorussian had 20 goals and 25 assists last season for the Canadiens giving him his best season since 2007-2008 when he scored 26 goals and had 27 assists. Kostitsyn has emerged as one of the Habs better offensive skill forwards last season and showed maturity that he’s lacked throughout his career in Montreal. Kostitsyn will be an unrestricted free agent after next season.
Pittsburgh re-signed Craig Adams to a two-year deal worth $1.375 million to continue working as the Penguins checking forward. With Adams signing on for two years it’s leading to speculation that free agent-to-be Maxime Talbot could be on his way out of town. It’s an affordable deal for Pittsburgh and Adams has done very well in his role with the Penguins. Adams’ cap hit will be for $675,000 over the next two years.
In St. Louis, young defenseman and front-runner for best name in the NHL Nikita Nikitin re-signed with the Blues on a one-year deal. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the deal is worth $600,000. Nikitin made his NHL debut this season and at 24 years-old he’ll have more time to develop. He played in 41 games this year for St. Louis scoring one goal and adding eight assists. He’ll be competing for a starting job in St. Louis next season and is part of a young corps of players the Blues have slowly moving up in their system.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 22
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)