Jun 9, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
We saw a handful of other guys get re-signed today when James Reimer was re-upped in Toronto for three years and Brett Carson re-signed for two years in Calgary a few other players also decided to stick with their teams today.
Montreal held on to impending restricted free agent Andrei Kostitsyn. Kostitsyn gets a one-year deal worth $3.25 million. The 26 year-old Belorussian had 20 goals and 25 assists last season for the Canadiens giving him his best season since 2007-2008 when he scored 26 goals and had 27 assists. Kostitsyn has emerged as one of the Habs better offensive skill forwards last season and showed maturity that he’s lacked throughout his career in Montreal. Kostitsyn will be an unrestricted free agent after next season.
Pittsburgh re-signed Craig Adams to a two-year deal worth $1.375 million to continue working as the Penguins checking forward. With Adams signing on for two years it’s leading to speculation that free agent-to-be Maxime Talbot could be on his way out of town. It’s an affordable deal for Pittsburgh and Adams has done very well in his role with the Penguins. Adams’ cap hit will be for $675,000 over the next two years.
In St. Louis, young defenseman and front-runner for best name in the NHL Nikita Nikitin re-signed with the Blues on a one-year deal. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the deal is worth $600,000. Nikitin made his NHL debut this season and at 24 years-old he’ll have more time to develop. He played in 41 games this year for St. Louis scoring one goal and adding eight assists. He’ll be competing for a starting job in St. Louis next season and is part of a young corps of players the Blues have slowly moving up in their system.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)