Jun 9, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
While Calgary struggled with signing one young potential cornerstone defenseman, they are making sure to at least keep one young guy in the fold. The Flames announced they’ve signed Brett Carson to a two-year $1.15 million deal to keep him in town for the short term future.
Jay Feaster announcing this signing just a week after having to trade the rights to former first round pick Tim Erixon to the Rangers because they were unable to get him signed may have some Flames fans pitching a fit. If anything else, it should prove that the situation with Erixon was a unique one in that he may have just not wanted any part of Calgary regardless of which GM was trying to sign him.
Many Flames fans blamed Feaster for not being able to get Erixon signed to an entry level contract but it was Daryl Sutter who drafted him and then couldn’t get him locked up for so long. In Carson, Feaster had this to say about him.
“Based on his solid play at the end of last season, we believe Brett can be an every day defenseman for us,” said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster. “In our end-of-season meetings a number of our top forwards commented on his consistent ability to get the puck to them in transition, and we are confident he will continue to develop his overall game.”
Signing a guy to a deal worth just $575,000 against the salary cap isn’t likely to get anyone too excited but Carson will provide the Flames with depth and the deal is inexpensive enough to not further hurt the Flames’ brutal salary cap situation. Carson was due to become an unrestricted free agent this summer but this deal will keep him in the fold and the defensive rotation cheaply.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)