Jun 9, 2011, 1:46 PM EST
While Calgary struggled with signing one young potential cornerstone defenseman, they are making sure to at least keep one young guy in the fold. The Flames announced they’ve signed Brett Carson to a two-year $1.15 million deal to keep him in town for the short term future.
Jay Feaster announcing this signing just a week after having to trade the rights to former first round pick Tim Erixon to the Rangers because they were unable to get him signed may have some Flames fans pitching a fit. If anything else, it should prove that the situation with Erixon was a unique one in that he may have just not wanted any part of Calgary regardless of which GM was trying to sign him.
Many Flames fans blamed Feaster for not being able to get Erixon signed to an entry level contract but it was Daryl Sutter who drafted him and then couldn’t get him locked up for so long. In Carson, Feaster had this to say about him.
“Based on his solid play at the end of last season, we believe Brett can be an every day defenseman for us,” said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster. “In our end-of-season meetings a number of our top forwards commented on his consistent ability to get the puck to them in transition, and we are confident he will continue to develop his overall game.”
Signing a guy to a deal worth just $575,000 against the salary cap isn’t likely to get anyone too excited but Carson will provide the Flames with depth and the deal is inexpensive enough to not further hurt the Flames’ brutal salary cap situation. Carson was due to become an unrestricted free agent this summer but this deal will keep him in the fold and the defensive rotation cheaply.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 11
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 29
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 46
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)