Jun 9, 2011, 11:31 PM EST
It wasn’t very long ago (even if it seems like it happened forever ago) that Jim Balsillie upset NHL executives by trying to sneak his way to owning (and ultimately moving) the Phoenix Coyotes. That attempted backdoor deal forced the league to step in and find themselves in the paused crisis they’re in right now.
While Balsillie failed to “Make it Seven,” True North Sports and Entertainment succeeded in his “mission.” With that in mind, many thought of the Research in Motion owner once again. There are two simple reasons why he remained a seemingly viable candidate for ownership: his company is a league sponsor and he has huge gobs of money to make it happen.
Earlier this week, Matt took a look at rumors that the NHL might give Balsillie a chance to own a team after all if he simply “behaves himself.” While league denials are frequently used to smoke screen events that are actually happening behind the scenes, it might be wise to take Bill Daly’s denial of the reports at face value.
The assurance for Balsillie has been reportedly extended by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, and appears to forgive previous, perceived ownership transgressions by Balsillie, who has bid on the Pittsburgh Penguins, Nashville Predators and Phoenix Coyotes.
But if Balsillie has been offered an olive branch by the NHL, it’s news to the league.
“No, we have not had any conversations or communications with Mr. Balsillie or any of his people regarding the potential acquisition of an NHL club,” NHL vice-president Bill Daly replied in an email Thursday.
As is the case with most ownership rumors, it’s rarely safe to trust anything unless an official announcement of an ownership change and/or relocation takes place. There’s a good chance we’ll hear about Balsillie again in the future, but it’s hard to imagine the Blackberry figurehead becoming an NHL owner as long as Gary Bettman is the league’s commissioner.
Crazier things have happened, though.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)