Jun 9, 2011, 11:31 PM EDT
It wasn’t very long ago (even if it seems like it happened forever ago) that Jim Balsillie upset NHL executives by trying to sneak his way to owning (and ultimately moving) the Phoenix Coyotes. That attempted backdoor deal forced the league to step in and find themselves in the paused crisis they’re in right now.
While Balsillie failed to “Make it Seven,” True North Sports and Entertainment succeeded in his “mission.” With that in mind, many thought of the Research in Motion owner once again. There are two simple reasons why he remained a seemingly viable candidate for ownership: his company is a league sponsor and he has huge gobs of money to make it happen.
Earlier this week, Matt took a look at rumors that the NHL might give Balsillie a chance to own a team after all if he simply “behaves himself.” While league denials are frequently used to smoke screen events that are actually happening behind the scenes, it might be wise to take Bill Daly’s denial of the reports at face value.
The assurance for Balsillie has been reportedly extended by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, and appears to forgive previous, perceived ownership transgressions by Balsillie, who has bid on the Pittsburgh Penguins, Nashville Predators and Phoenix Coyotes.
But if Balsillie has been offered an olive branch by the NHL, it’s news to the league.
“No, we have not had any conversations or communications with Mr. Balsillie or any of his people regarding the potential acquisition of an NHL club,” NHL vice-president Bill Daly replied in an email Thursday.
As is the case with most ownership rumors, it’s rarely safe to trust anything unless an official announcement of an ownership change and/or relocation takes place. There’s a good chance we’ll hear about Balsillie again in the future, but it’s hard to imagine the Blackberry figurehead becoming an NHL owner as long as Gary Bettman is the league’s commissioner.
Crazier things have happened, though.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)