Jun 7, 2011, 12:18 AM EDT
And here you thought everything was all settled after Alex Burrows‘ bite on Patrice Bergeron in Game 1 and Maxim Lapierre‘s Game 2 taunting of Bergeron. During the third period of tonight’s Game 3 romp by the Bruins that saw them win 8-1, things got a bit feisty. Milan Lucic and Alex Burrows came together behind the net in a scrum that saw the two of them exchange shots and exchange words.
During that scrum, Lucic got his chance to get his say in the matter tonight and did so in a way that’s likely to get a lot of run from here on out. Lucic with his hand bare after having his glove knocked off got his hands through to Burrows’ face as the linesmen tried to break the two up. What follows next is something, whether you like it or not, will end up being a lasting image of these Stanley Cup finals as Lucic taunted Burrows with his fingers daring him to take a bite.
Silly? Yes, it is but this whole situation from Burrows’ initial chomp to Lapierre’s nonsensical taunting in Game 2 to Bruins coach Claude Julien sounding off about it leading into Game 3 makes the whole thing just goofy. But we like goofy things and Lucic doing this as the perfect full-circle treatment for everything makes the whole ordeal worth it in the end. Boys will be boys and such.
After the game, Alex Burrows didn’t have much to say about the taunting.
“It doesn’t matter they were down 2-0 so they had to play a desperate kind of hockey. We matched their intensity early but didn’t get it done from there and we didn’t score any goals so we have to do better,” Burrows said. When asked if he was surprised that Lucic did that he replied simply with, “No.”
When Ryan Kesler was asked about the taunting, his reply was a bit more pointed.
“No, we know the type of team they are over there and we’re going to worry about Game 4.”
If the fuse for this series wasn’t lit already, it’s smoldering and smoking now.
Bruins coach Claude Julien did bring some sanity in an otherwise insane world when asked about it after the game.
“Well, I’ll tell you what. I said this morning that I wouldn’t accept it on our team. It happened a couple of times tonight. They’ve been told that I don’t want any of that stuff.
“You know, like I said, you got to live by your words. It was disappointing for me to see that happen after what I said this morning. But part of it is my fault for not bringing it up to the guys. They did it. Emotions got the better of them. I’m going to stand here and say I’m not accepting it. The guys have been told.
“I don’t want that stuff in our game. I think we have to be better than that. Emotions are running high. It was a very physical game. There was a lot of stuff going on. You can live with that kind of stuff. But the other stuff, as you mentioned, I don’t want to see.”
Smart move by Julien to try and settle things down in his own house first and to make sure everyone else knew it as well. Whether this is the official end of all the biting and taunting nonsense we can hope so but we’re also doubting that’s the case.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)