Video: Milan Lucic gets the final say in taunting Alex Burrows

Jun 7, 2011, 12:18 AM EDT

Milan Lucic, Alex Burrows Getty Images

And here you thought everything was all settled after Alex Burrows‘ bite on Patrice Bergeron in Game 1 and Maxim Lapierre‘s Game 2 taunting of Bergeron. During the third period of tonight’s Game 3 romp by the Bruins that saw them win 8-1, things got a bit feisty. Milan Lucic and Alex Burrows came together behind the net in a scrum that saw the two of them exchange shots and exchange words.

During that scrum, Lucic got his chance to get his say in the matter tonight and did so in a way that’s likely to get a lot of run from here on out. Lucic with his hand bare after having his glove knocked off got his hands through to Burrows’ face as the linesmen tried to break the two up. What follows next is something, whether you like it or not, will end up being a lasting image of these Stanley Cup finals as Lucic taunted Burrows with his fingers daring him to take a bite.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Silly? Yes, it is but this whole situation from Burrows’ initial chomp to Lapierre’s nonsensical taunting in Game 2 to Bruins coach Claude Julien sounding off about it leading into Game 3 makes the whole thing just goofy. But we like goofy things and Lucic doing this as the perfect full-circle treatment for everything makes the whole ordeal worth it in the end. Boys will be boys and such.

After the game, Alex Burrows didn’t have much to say about the taunting.

“It doesn’t matter they were down 2-0 so they had to play a desperate kind of hockey. We matched their intensity early but didn’t get it done from there and we didn’t score any goals so we have to do better,” Burrows said. When asked if he was surprised that Lucic did that he replied simply with, “No.”

When Ryan Kesler was asked about the taunting, his reply was a bit more pointed.

“No, we know the type of team they are over there and we’re going to worry about Game 4.”

If the fuse for this series wasn’t lit already, it’s smoldering and smoking now.

Bruins coach Claude Julien did bring some sanity in an otherwise insane world when asked about it after the game.

“Well, I’ll tell you what. I said this morning that I wouldn’t accept it on our team. It happened a couple of times tonight. They’ve been told that I don’t want any of that stuff.

“You know, like I said, you got to live by your words. It was disappointing for me to see that happen after what I said this morning. But part of it is my fault for not bringing it up to the guys. They did it. Emotions got the better of them. I’m going to stand here and say I’m not accepting it. The guys have been told.

“I don’t want that stuff in our game. I think we have to be better than that. Emotions are running high. It was a very physical game. There was a lot of stuff going on. You can live with that kind of stuff. But the other stuff, as you mentioned, I don’t want to see.”

Smart move by Julien to try and settle things down in his own house first and to make sure everyone else knew it as well. Whether this is the official end of all the biting and taunting nonsense we can hope so but we’re also doubting that’s the case.

1. tommytd - Jun 7, 2011 at 6:18 AM

Hey NHL…sit Burrows down per your own rulebook for what he did and you don’t end up with this mess! Clean up your act – you have nobody to blame but yourselves and your arbitrary enforcement of the rules.

2. psousa1 - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Too late to sit him now. After that imbecile Mike Murphy mishandled that Aaron Rome is going to get it twice as much, in the league’s mind, to make up for it.

3. spgood11 - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:01 PM

nobody Whines like the Chowderheads..Be it the Sux, Ruins or Celts….Beantown is full of loud mouth cry babies!

• mgp1219 - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Can you cite examples? Back up words with facts….

• bobwsc - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM

d-bag, table for one, we’re ready to seat you sir.

• bruins18 - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM

yea pretty sure we werent whining or crying while lighting luongo up for 8 goals hahah ur ignorant

• bruins18 - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM

must be a canadians fan? haha

• pythonlee - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM

You have been whining and weeping since the playoffs started. You won the game 8-0 and you were crying the whole time about Horton, Burrows, the officials, on and on. Everybody but Boston knows Boston teams and fans are the worst bunch of crybabies in the country. You whine and cry and complain about everything and everybody.

Oh golly he bit my finger. Was there blood? No. Did it break the skin? No. So what’s the big deal? I thought you guys were hockey players playing hockey but every time somebody frowns at you you go running for your mommy. Oh we lost a game! Oh he knocked me down Oh he bit my finger and it hurts. Mommy, mommy, mommy.

Bruins should go play with the girls so they don’t get their feelings hurt.

The Vs crew is so pro-Bruins nbc should be embarrassed. Keith Jones is the only one with any balance at all to his comments. Milbury is such a homer AND a crybaby. I turn the sound off.

4. buffalosaberswillwin - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:20 PM

this is stupid everyone knows Boston is a spoiled sports city and when they don’t win they flip out
    GO CANUCKS

Illegal hits are down -- but will it last?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches