Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
It sounds like the rumors are true: True North Sports and Entertainment will reportedly introduce Chicago Blackhawks assistant GM Kevin Cheveldayoff as Winnipeg’s new general manager on Wednesday. This announcement will come on the heels of True North’s decision to part ways with former GM Rick Dudley, who served as the Atlanta Thrashers’ general manager for just the 2010-11 season.
This work mark an interesting transition from a Blackhawks front office member from the Dale Tallon days (Dudley) to one more closely associated with Stan Bowman (Cheveldayoff).
The Blackhawks connection obviously helps – Cheveldayoff was an assistant GM and director of hockey operations for two seasons – but it’s probably his minor league experience working closely with players in Winnipeg’s organization that matters the most. Cheveldayoff ran the AHL’s Chicago Wolves (aka the Atlanta Thrashers’ feeder team) for 12 years, which means that he has intimate knowledge of Winnipeg’s prospects and younger players.
It seems a bit unfair that Dudley lost his job without really getting a chance to prove himself, but Cheveldayoff could be a natural fit in Winnipeg. Perhaps the only real question remains: will True North name their team in the same press conference as they name their first GM?
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)