Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
It sounds like the rumors are true: True North Sports and Entertainment will reportedly introduce Chicago Blackhawks assistant GM Kevin Cheveldayoff as Winnipeg’s new general manager on Wednesday. This announcement will come on the heels of True North’s decision to part ways with former GM Rick Dudley, who served as the Atlanta Thrashers’ general manager for just the 2010-11 season.
This work mark an interesting transition from a Blackhawks front office member from the Dale Tallon days (Dudley) to one more closely associated with Stan Bowman (Cheveldayoff).
The Blackhawks connection obviously helps – Cheveldayoff was an assistant GM and director of hockey operations for two seasons – but it’s probably his minor league experience working closely with players in Winnipeg’s organization that matters the most. Cheveldayoff ran the AHL’s Chicago Wolves (aka the Atlanta Thrashers’ feeder team) for 12 years, which means that he has intimate knowledge of Winnipeg’s prospects and younger players.
It seems a bit unfair that Dudley lost his job without really getting a chance to prove himself, but Cheveldayoff could be a natural fit in Winnipeg. Perhaps the only real question remains: will True North name their team in the same press conference as they name their first GM?
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)