Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
It sounds like the rumors are true: True North Sports and Entertainment will reportedly introduce Chicago Blackhawks assistant GM Kevin Cheveldayoff as Winnipeg’s new general manager on Wednesday. This announcement will come on the heels of True North’s decision to part ways with former GM Rick Dudley, who served as the Atlanta Thrashers’ general manager for just the 2010-11 season.
This work mark an interesting transition from a Blackhawks front office member from the Dale Tallon days (Dudley) to one more closely associated with Stan Bowman (Cheveldayoff).
The Blackhawks connection obviously helps – Cheveldayoff was an assistant GM and director of hockey operations for two seasons – but it’s probably his minor league experience working closely with players in Winnipeg’s organization that matters the most. Cheveldayoff ran the AHL’s Chicago Wolves (aka the Atlanta Thrashers’ feeder team) for 12 years, which means that he has intimate knowledge of Winnipeg’s prospects and younger players.
It seems a bit unfair that Dudley lost his job without really getting a chance to prove himself, but Cheveldayoff could be a natural fit in Winnipeg. Perhaps the only real question remains: will True North name their team in the same press conference as they name their first GM?
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)