Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
It sounds like the rumors are true: True North Sports and Entertainment will reportedly introduce Chicago Blackhawks assistant GM Kevin Cheveldayoff as Winnipeg’s new general manager on Wednesday. This announcement will come on the heels of True North’s decision to part ways with former GM Rick Dudley, who served as the Atlanta Thrashers’ general manager for just the 2010-11 season.
This work mark an interesting transition from a Blackhawks front office member from the Dale Tallon days (Dudley) to one more closely associated with Stan Bowman (Cheveldayoff).
The Blackhawks connection obviously helps – Cheveldayoff was an assistant GM and director of hockey operations for two seasons – but it’s probably his minor league experience working closely with players in Winnipeg’s organization that matters the most. Cheveldayoff ran the AHL’s Chicago Wolves (aka the Atlanta Thrashers’ feeder team) for 12 years, which means that he has intimate knowledge of Winnipeg’s prospects and younger players.
It seems a bit unfair that Dudley lost his job without really getting a chance to prove himself, but Cheveldayoff could be a natural fit in Winnipeg. Perhaps the only real question remains: will True North name their team in the same press conference as they name their first GM?
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)